Spondylitis Association of America
Posted By: Spenser23 Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 04:39 AM

I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear the news this afternoon, that Chris Miller passed away on Tuesday. Chris worked for the Spondylitis Association for more than 12 years and his current title was Director of Programs, He was, for many years, the administrator for the SAA's message boards, where we used to call him "Fireman Chris" for his ability to put out fires and end "flame wars." He was someone that I never met in person, but came to know over many years through our frequent interactions online and through emails. I admired the work he did for the SAA, especially his recent work on the Spondylitis Plus magazine. I don't think it would surprise anyone that our senses of humor allowed for some funny interactions. I feel as if I've lost a very close friend. My condolences to his family and friends. To the staff of the SAA; my thoughts are with you. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Spenser23 aka Michael Smith
Posted By: cindyd Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 12:53 PM
Spencer, Thank you for posting this, Chris will be missed. What a hard working man. He helped many people on this site. Besides all the other work he did, for the A.S. people.
Prayers for Chris, and his family.
Posted By: Bella22 Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 02:17 PM
Devastating news. Thoughts and prayers to his family and colleagues.
Posted By: SouthernMoss Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 03:38 PM
Such sad news. SAA has some big shoes to fill. I will pray for his family, and also his SAA family.
Posted By: Banana Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 06:06 PM
Such terrible news, he was such important person to the spondy family. So sorry to read this, big hugs to everyone at SAA and to his family too.

Anna
Posted By: worldofme Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 06:14 PM
Sorry for the loss.

Now I don't mean to sound like a punk but what happen? Did he die because of biologic or AS?

Again not trying to be rude. This one of the things I say AS shorts life span.
Posted By: Spenser23 Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 06:52 PM
From what I understand, Chris accidentally fell and hit his head and the resulting trauma to his head lead directly to his death the following day. His passing was not AS related.

Spenser23
Posted By: onlywhenilaugh Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 07:39 PM
So sorry to hear of Chris' sudden passing. My condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Shippingnews Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 08:42 PM
Rest in peace..Chris
Posted By: Tacitus Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 09:01 PM

Sorry, Michael:

Very sad--condolences all around. Damn...just awful.
Posted By: Beth Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/08/16 11:42 PM
So sorry to hear this. Chris was such a great help to many of us in the beginning of our dx. Condolences to all...
Posted By: tiabird Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/09/16 02:27 AM
This is quite a shock. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Posted By: Ken Delano Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/09/16 11:40 AM
cry
Posted By: WhiteCell Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/09/16 02:35 PM
So sad.
Posted By: WhiteCell Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/09/16 06:09 PM
Is there a notice from SAA or Obituary poster. I remember his welcome to me. He will be dearly missed.
Posted By: NotMeToo Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/09/16 09:57 PM
This is such sad news. Chris will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

RIP Fireman Chris
Posted By: drizzit Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/11/16 06:29 PM
RIP. You helped me out several times in private emails. You will be missed
Posted By: ElinAslanyan Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/11/16 07:18 PM
Thank you Michael, for doing that. Last week was one of the worst ones I can remember in a long time, and we were all walking around the office in a daze. Still haven't told everyone I know I need to, but I'm sorry I didn't come on here to let you all know myself. I should have. I know the online community, and many of your SAA forum veterans especially, had a long relationship with Chris - he was the main moderator here for many many years and I know this is a sad loss for you guys here as well. He would welcome people, jump in to ease tensions and put out fires, and answer questions when needed. He provided support - and did it genuinely, with care. My condolences to you all who knew Chris as well. It's a sad, sad time and a huge loss for the spondylitis community he cared so much for.

Chris touched so many people's lives, including my own. He was a wonderful colleague, friend, teacher, motivator, advocate and so much more. Creative, smart, and very very funny. We would crack each other up on a regular basis - even after he moved to Missouri he continued to work with us on website and design projects and we still cracked each other up - now over email. I will miss that so so much...

We will of course be writing an official note/obituary later on this week, and I'll make sure I share it here with you. Just wanted to say a few words about my friend for now. Thank you for allowing me to use this forum for support for myself today.

Elin
Posted By: RAHMBA Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/11/16 09:46 PM
Thank you, everyone on this thread for sharing your kind thoughts and memories. My sincere condolences to all. I'm struggling to write something here, because the loss is too fresh, unexpected and extensive to jot down in a box of text. Composing provokes tears. Please forgive my brevity and suffice it to say that I have lost a joyful aspect of my life. The spondylitis community has lost a dedicated and determined advocate, a valuable resource and a friend. I am deeply grateful for him, my fellow SAA staff and this spondylitis community.
Posted By: krishna Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/23/16 03:49 AM
Very sad to hear the news
May his soul rest in peace
Posted By: diehardhusky11 Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 07/31/16 11:48 PM
RIP Chris.

H.
Posted By: ElinAslanyan Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 08/02/16 05:26 PM
I had said that I would share SAA's remembrance of Chris. Here's that item http://www.spondylitis.org/About-Us-Our-Work/News/christopher-miller-memorial

I think he'd like knowing that so many people are remembering and thinking of him often.
Posted By: Ken Delano Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 08/03/16 01:46 AM
Thank you Elin.
Posted By: SouthernMoss Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 08/03/16 01:57 PM
What a wonderful tribute! Thank you for sharing, Elin.
Posted By: Mary Beth Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 08/04/16 11:23 PM
Oh no! I don't come here very often and am seeing this for the first time now. I too date back to the days here where I considered Chris a friend and a voice of sanity in some conversations that risked turning into all-out wars. I feel like I lost someone I knew. What a kind and generous man. My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him.
Posted By: CB in CA Re: Chris Miller ... Sad News - 09/28/16 04:26 AM
Oh my gosh! I don't come here that often either and I too am reading this for the first time. This is very sad and unexpected news. Fireman Chris put out many, many fires years ago! I often wondered how many times a night he logged in to see how high the flames were. I can recall a couple years he probably didn't sleep much. I still cant get over losing our SAA forum friends....
© Spondylitis Association of America - Message Boards & Forums