Page 1 of 2 1 2
anyone here gone on disability?
#124377 10/05/08 08:43 PM
D
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
I am seriously thinking about going out on disability. I am 50, was dxd with AS 9 years ago, crohns 2 years ago and in February with Cervical Dystonia. Some days are really good, but for the most part there is some part of my body that hurts every day. I drive 100 miles a day for work, and it is so hard. I have had a fusion from C3 to C7, and can barely turn my neck. I take humira weekly and botox for the nexk every three months. I am just worn out.
Thanks for listening!
Diana

Re: anyone here gone on disability?
dianadunk #124401 10/06/08 12:54 AM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
Good luck! I am 48, was finally told in december I couldn't work anymore. In june, I got my first disability check from my job, I received 65% of my salary until august at which time they started off setting what they think I will receive from social security disability, when and if I am ever approved, OR, if they deny my benefits a second time then they will pay me the offset amount until I do draw the ss. The social security admin. will try everything to deny you unless you are terminal within a few months! Very frustrating, and Very poor here!

I had really rather not have EVERYTHING my sister has!
bestmeme #124427 10/06/08 11:03 AM
D
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
I am not looking forward to dealing with SSD. I have disability through work which will kick in after 120 days. Then after one year I lose my health benefits. That is the really scary part. They help you get SSD, but I could see myself going thru savings rather quickly. But, I think that trying to work much more will shorten my life.... sad but true. Every day it is a different issue.

dianadunk #124539 10/07/08 04:39 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
hi there,
i am going through the disability nightmare as we speak. i have been denied twice, and am at the "hearing" stage. it takes a while to even get to this stage. it will be 2 years in february that i applied, and that's about when my hearing should be. i am 39 his month. i have a.s. , colitis, osteo arthritis, and fibromyalgia. more recently i have inflamation in my heart that gives me tachycardia. if i don't take medicine, my heart goes anywhere from 120-150+. i have changes in my x-rays, i have degenerative disc disease at all levels of my spine, bulging discs at c4-c7, and kyphosis centered around c5.
the first time that they denied me they told me that i wasn't as "severe" as i was claiming to be. the second time , they told me that i could still work 8 hours a day, and that i would have to stand for two and sit for six! anyone with a.s. sitting for 6 hours!!!! hehehe!!!!!
the latest mri that i had showed the bulging discs, and kyphosis, so hopefully they will look at that too. the only good thing is that they back pay you from when you first applied. thank goodness for that!!! i just hope that it will be soon!!!
i was a very hyper person. before i had my babies, i was working 80 hours a week. after my first , i worked at least 40 if not more. i would LOVE to work!!! hehe!! believe me. we are so broke right now!!!
i do know that they go by age a lot of the time, so because you are closer to retirement age than i am, you will probably have a better chance of getting it. if you have any problem sleeping, functioning during the day, or have gone to a therapist for depression, those things will help you too. anyway, sorry to rant about myself. i just wanted you to see how poopy caca they are!!! there are a lot of others here who have gone through the same thing, so hopefully you will get some more answers!!!
take care, and good luck!!!!
christi

[19_1.jpg[/i/Users/christinajames/Desktop/DSC_0542.JPGmg]The reason i keep on movin'!!!
cjjames3 #124570 10/07/08 09:27 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor

There is a wonderful website that tells you exactly what to do. You'll have to do a tiny bit of searching.

www.about.com click on the health or search arthritis, then disabilty. They give you the paperwork and offer suggestions on how to write it even Federal website.

Also, many people recommend after the first denial to go to a disabiltiy lawyer. They claim a percentage but it is limited to $5000. They win everytime. Since you can only get so many hearings/denials why not? Plus they get it a lot sooner for you, making it worth it. They won't take you until you have one denial. You will get money from the date you applied so you won't be paying the lawyer just refunding from the large check you get. Those checks are large because it dates back to your first application date.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
dianadunk #124733 10/09/08 02:06 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hi,

Well I started my SSD paperwork on Aug 12,2008. I did a lot research and filled out paperwork to the tee, along with my 3 doc. My disability date is April 23,08. I'm 54 yrs old.

On Sept 29th, I received a letter from SSD regarding password setup for online use. I called SSD to get more infor on this password and they told me that my claim was accepted and my 1st SSD check will be at the end of Nov. I don't understand how I got it on the first try, was told by many that you'll get deny on the first try. Now I need to know if I'll get a retro check dated back to April 23, some people say yes, some say no.

Well good luck to those trying for SSD and don't give up, please!!!!

Last edited by Frannie; 10/09/08 02:08 PM. Reason: add remark

Bogi

DX- March 2005 with USpA, Osteoarthritis, 2013 Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia since 1998
Remicade Infusion ended March 2015
Stated Cimzia injection 200mg every 2 weeks(6/17/2015)for 2 months.
Then every 4 week..
Frannie #124774 10/09/08 05:20 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Great news, you are blessed to have this work out as it should for more people.Have a great day!

Tia
tiabird #124830 10/10/08 04:18 AM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
Hi,
Its been awhile since I've been on the board. I was doing great but have had a bad flare up. I'm on SSD and approved first time around with pay back to when they felt I was first disabled. At that time I was still working but taking a lot of time off. I was a teacher and I tried using a scooter because I couldn't stand on the hard floors all day. It's also important that you tell your doc.everything when you go so it's in their notes. I think the most important thing is to be very detailed about all doctors, procedures,medicine etc. that you have tried. I attached a separate form with every single doctor, hospital, test, etc. with dates and all of their info. This is what they send to SS. I had a triple lamenectomy and fusion. I have PsA, DDD, stinosis and colitis. Good Luck

lynnie #126032 10/21/08 02:50 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Hi! I developed AS in 2004,after having back surgery followed by menengitis (it triggered it). I filed for SSD and SSI in 2006 and was awarded disability on the first try, they backdated my disability award 24 months...I asked the case worker why I was awarded so quickly (I'm curious by nature) and she told me it was because when I filed I had everything completely filled out and included names and addresses of my doctors,along with MRI's,Xrays,all tests and medications I am on....basicly all they had to do was read and verify. It made their job alot easier by having all my little duckies in a row.LOL
Good luck and remember...there is NO such thing as too much information when filing for disability!

DX with AS at 41.
HLA-B27+,ARTS1+ and IL23R+
Mom,and grandma. 43yr old
Rachelle65 #126047 10/21/08 06:25 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
rachelle,
i had everything filled out as well, but they still denied me. i was told that age has some to do with it. it's hard to tell about that one though, because i know some youngsters who are on it. i'm still going through it, it will be 2 years by the time that i get my hearing. did they back pay the 24 months? is that how long it took to go through the process? or did they back date it to the day that you became disabled? there was one screw up on their part , but it was fixed before i was denied the second time. i'm at the hearing stage now. hopefully i'll get it this time. there are a lot of good articles about this now. i think that one of the is in the "spondylitis plus" magazine too. i'm glad that a lot of you here have gotten it!!! it's good to know. i should have my lawyer read this thread!! hehe!!
thanks!!
christi

[19_1.jpg[/i/Users/christinajames/Desktop/DSC_0542.JPGmg]The reason i keep on movin'!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard