Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
starting Enbrel this week, now have MRSA...
#140322 04/18/09 08:28 PM
L
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
L
I'm supposed to get my first shipment of Enbrel on Friday (6 days from now.) Today I had to go have an abcess drained, and as I was afraid of, the doctor thinks it is probably MRSA. We won't know until probably Tuesday but since I'm a nurse in a hospital where MRSA is very prevalent, it's very likely. I'm starting 10 days of antibiotics. I know that all the literature says not to take Enbrel with an active infection and will be calling my rheumy as soon as the culture is back, but what is everybody else's experiences with how long you have to wait before starting Enbrel after an infection? I just want to get started!

Re: starting Enbrel this week, now have MRSA...
lanabanana #140355 04/19/09 11:31 AM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Just wanted to bump up your posts. I feel it is a very important one! I hope someone can give you an answer.

georgie72493 #140441 04/20/09 02:19 PM
L
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
L
thanks georgie. nobody has experiences with infections and starting Enbrel?

lanabanana #140455 04/20/09 05:16 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Lana, I'm sorry about your infection. I don't know about Enbrel but you're a healthcare professional so listen to your gut. If all the lit says to avoid it, and your doc concurs, please take that advice to heart. MRSA is tough enough to kick without disabling your immune system further - although I understand your frustration and eagerness!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #140461 04/20/09 05:50 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
I don't know about Enbrel, but with Remicade my doctor would not give me my infusion with MRSA. He is fairly open-minded about giving it if you just have an infection ( like I have gotten my infusion with a sinus' infection and strep ), so I would think that you will probably have to wait. I know that SUCKS, but you don't want to be fighting MRSA forever either! Hopefully one round of antibiotics will cover it?!

Tess

Some of the best things come from Author Unknown.

When the world says, "Give up," hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Though you can't go back and start again, you can start from now and have a brand new end.
greenshampoo #140559 04/21/09 07:35 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
DO NOT START ENBREL until you are in the clear. I know you want to feel better but I had something similar happen and my rhemy was very clear when she told me not to take it until I was better. And my rhemy plays no games.

lanabanana #140616 04/22/09 12:55 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Wow Lana,I too am a nurse. about 1 yr ago when I was first dx, and after a failed attempt on sulfasalazine, I was prescribed Humira. I was so happy. My first delivery came in the mail and lo and behold I too got a MRSA infection in an abcess before I got to start my first dose! I waited another month just to make sure the wound was completely healed over before starting it. I ate a lot of protein to help with the healing process. I think it really helped because the wound healed really fast. Good luck and please do not start the Enbrel before the infection is gone.

RuthAnne #140631 04/22/09 05:07 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I have had infections with Humira and had to be treated for some time. But I continued to be on the Humira. I think it's best to consult your dr. Hope things get cleared soon and you get things under way-

Jean Angel #140709 04/23/09 06:32 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I started humira last friday...how long does it take to help...im so miserable right now ?

Kelly66 #140763 04/24/09 02:18 AM
L
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
L
I still don't have the final ruling on my wound culture (not sure what's going on with the lab!) but all we know at this point is it is Staph infection, don't know about the MRSA. But did talk to my doc today and he said I could start the Enbrel as soon as my antibiotics are done if the wound looks ok and not having any other abcesses. So hopefully I can start it in 4-5 days! Keep your fingers crossed for no more infection!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard