Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #142393 05/09/09 04:32 AM
F
funchefchick Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
The brain fog could be related to MTX, if those of you who are having it take that. That is otherwise known as "chemo brain" by those who have had it for fighting cancer. I know the MTX dose is much smaller for us than for cancer, but still .. could be . . ?

Last edited by funchefchick; 05/09/09 04:33 AM. Reason: doh! hit space bar too soon

FunChefChick and Pooch

Diagnosed undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy and Fibromyalgia Spring 2009.
Taking: Mobic (NSAID), Lyrica, Cimzia, Morphine Sulfate, Soma, Morphine IR.
Tried: MTX, Humira, Savella, Cymbalta, Enbrel
Had been employed full-time in the tech sector for 25 years; went on permanent disability leave starting April 2013.
Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #142489 05/10/09 11:46 AM
P
petunia Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I had serious brain fog before I ever started on Humira or any of the other drugs I'm now taking for AS. As a matter of fact, the brain fog has for the most part cleared up since I began taking Humira. I think it is a symptom of AS. As for halted speech, I do have that on occasion where I'm almost incoherent. Makes me feel stupid when that happens in public, but I just brush it off and joke about having a "senior moment."

Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #142506 05/10/09 09:26 PM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
i was diagnosed with probable multiple sclerosis in 1980, also an autoimmune disease, and i had not taken any tnfs. mark is correct, there can be other reasons for halted speech. halted, slurred speech was one of my first symptoms. my neurosurgeon asked me if i could hear myself. i said no, only later to find out everyone at work thot i was drinking at lunch, fat chance. such a group of gossip tools. so lame. i was around my hubby so much he didn't really notice a big difference, but that doc sure did! called it inflammatory brain disease. if it continues, be sure to check it out with your doc so she can decide if it might be part of your treatment, or perhaps give you a referral. prayers and peace, sequoia

Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #142666 05/12/09 08:30 PM
K
kmallory Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
LOL - i was meeting with my nerologist about my speech problem, he decided to google to see if other people had been reporting problems with Lexapro/Humira and speech- he found this forum:) I didn't tell him it was me. I was,frankly, shocked to find out that this forum was publically searched by Google. I would have thought twice about my handle here wink

EXCELLENCE is never an accident: it is the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #142670 05/12/09 09:59 PM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
hi k.. mallory. my rheumy told me not to read this site, guess she didn't want me to have any information about the disease. i am so glad i keep the screen name. she just can't be sure it is me, except when i tell the part that she considered my height loss, nearly 3 inches, to be due to gravity! a true riot. what a girl. don't worry about the doc. and think about this you can google ANYTHING. so prayers to you and talk like you always would. at least your neurologist is now enlightened, hopefully. peace, s

Re: Halted Speech [Re: ] #142689 05/13/09 01:30 AM
W
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Originally Posted By: sequoia
.....except when i tell the part that she considered my height loss, nearly 3 inches, to be due to gravity!

OMG! what did you say to that one? should we expect an outbreak of VERY short people? laugh

Re: Halted Speech [Re: winelover] #142706 05/13/09 02:34 PM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
so, wine, i just dropped my jaw essentially, and haven't been back to see her in a year. i am going back to mend fences as it were, next week. i am not sure what we can accomplish, but i feel as i am always telling folks to get to a rheumy, i should go once a year! just for s. and giggles, if nothing else! i got caught up last fall with the whole pancreas thing (still unresolved) and then the cataract surgeries, tomorrow is the second, and i think it is time to check in. i have been wanting to see if i could get a bone scan one of these days. i have some obvious pitting on many bones, i thot bones were smooth, or kinda, and i would like an explanation of that, if she can give me one. i think i already know it is likely erosion, but we shall see what we see. don't you just love the line? it is my fav ever from someone with medical school, and residency training! take care and have a good day. peace, sequoia

Re: Halted Speech [Re: ] #142707 05/13/09 03:18 PM
J
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Originally Posted By: sequoia
i am not sure what we can accomplish, but i feel as i am always telling folks to get to a rheumy, i should go once a year! just for s. and giggles, if nothing else!

you crack me up - you are a true inspiration, sequoia!! hope you can show the doctor what-for!!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #143438 05/22/09 07:39 PM
R
rebeccah Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
OMG!!!Yes! I don't have AS, but I have the "fog" and the speech and the information retrieval issues, too!!!
I have RA (or something similar, neg RF)and have been on HUMIRA for 2 years. I started complaining of the "brain fog" about 6 months ago, and so my rheumatologist put me on Provigil. He said it would flip my "on switch" each morning, and I probably needed a sleep study- although I sleep fine. I just got home from my appt today where I was explaining some new symptoms. He took me off Humira, ordered a brain CT, chest xray, and an encephalytis test. I camen home and immediately started searching and found this thread. I also have another WEIRD brain symptom and wonder if anyone else does, too. It's feeling like you recognize people everywhere you go- I know I don't know these people, but my brain is telling me otherwise. I'll see 3-4 people in a restaurant that look familiar, but just can't place them. Or even in the halls at work, or the grocery store. It's odd. My symptoms are: brain fog, false-recognition, loss for words, forgetfulness, and now wheezing while exercising. Anyone else? My doctor told me today that Humira had no reported brain issues, but another TNF blocker was just removed due to a link to brain infection. Anybody out there have anything for me?

Re: Halted Speech [Re: kmallory] #143439 05/22/09 07:41 PM
R
rebeccah Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
OMG!!!Yes! I don't have AS, but I have the "fog" and the speech and the information retrieval issues, too!!!
I have RA (or something similar, neg RF)and have been on HUMIRA for 2 years. I started complaining of the "brain fog" about 6 months ago, and so my rheumatologist put me on Provigil. He said it would flip my "on switch" each morning, and I probably needed a sleep study- although I sleep fine. I just got home from my appt today where I was explaining some new symptoms. He took me off Humira, ordered a brain CT, chest xray, and an encephalytis test. I camen home and immediately started searching and found this thread. I also have another WEIRD brain symptom and wonder if anyone else does, too. It's feeling like you recognize people everywhere you go- I know I don't know these people, but my brain is telling me otherwise. I'll see 3-4 people in a restaurant that look familiar, but just can't place them. Or even in the halls at work, or the grocery store. It's odd. My symptoms are: brain fog, false-recognition, loss for words, forgetfulness, and now wheezing while exercising. Anyone else? My doctor told me today that Humira had no reported brain issues, but another TNF blocker was just removed due to a link to brain infection. Anybody out there have anything for me?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto