Print Thread
elliptical machine
#140612 04/22/09 05:15 AM
W
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
Some weeks back one of you ladies commented about exercising with an elliptical machine (was it Bingo? Cosmo? Anna banana? I can't remember)
The hydrotherapy pool I've been using has a gym next door and they have a whole row of elliptical machines so I'm thinking of trying one out.
I'm guessing it is good because it doesn't have so much impact on your feet, knees hips etc., is that right? Any comments please? If these machines are good they could help with the weight loss!

Re: elliptical machine
winelover #140658 04/23/09 01:16 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
My daughter swears by the elliptical. Although, each type is different. Our Club has several different types,and the stride length makes a difference as to what it uses most. There is one she loves; one that stresses her hip flexor a little. So in concept its one of the best ideas (stationary bike too for her because of her knees) but you personally need to try out the type of machine.

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.
TennisAce #140659 04/23/09 01:40 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I love them. Each one is different so if your club has several different kinds try them out to see which one you like best. They provide great cardio with no impact to your joins. I use to work for a fitness company so I have a little background on them. Have fun!

Sammi
sammimp #140729 04/23/09 09:25 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
I love the elliptical. My doctor prescribed it after my hip reconstructive surgery because it's easy on the joints.

catwoman #140746 04/24/09 12:38 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
I havent found one i can function on yet..... They all keep me in a bent knee position and that kills me. I could walk forever thou a bit slow at only 2.7 MPH and I find an upright bike better than the encunberant type. But I'm not in great shape starting. So I mostly stick to stretch and walking. But I have heard and seen different type of the elliptical. So I try em when i see em.

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #141017 04/26/09 08:02 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I purchased an elliptical a few years ago and have not used it much. It is much better on the joints than walking on a treadmill or running. I actually like to use the elliptical; I just cannot seem to get up the motivation to get on it.

~Jennifer~
Jennifer13 #141244 04/28/09 07:55 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I've always found the elliptical is better than the treadmill for me...however, I've been warned by my rheumy that I really, REALLY should stick to stationary bike or water-based aerobics.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard