Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Me Again..Vitamin D Deficent Am I alone?
#143379 05/22/09 12:19 AM
K
KellyChristal
Unregistered
KellyChristal
Unregistered
K
Yep, got another call today from my new (AND WONDERFUL) PCP. I am officially vitamin D deficient. Is this common in AS. I am once again looking for your vast knowledge, since this is my first time dealing with this. What is the treatment? I have whole milk in my cereal every morning...eat cheese every day...I don't get it.

Re: Me Again..Vitamin D Deficent Am I alone?
#143384 05/22/09 12:47 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
not sure if any link to AS, but definitely a problem in places with not so much sun, it is a problem in Tasmania and Melbourne (Australia) e.g. see:
http://www.disability.vic.gov.au/dsonline/dsarticles.nsf/pages/Vitamin_D?opendocument

I think you will find a link between Vot D deficiency and MS if you do a search

winelover #143386 05/22/09 12:53 AM
K
KellyChristal
Unregistered
KellyChristal
Unregistered
K
winelover....how sad is this...I live in Texas....full sun every day. In my defense we have had a rainy/cloudy streak lately, but my doctors are thinking I am not digesting my food properly and therefore not absorbing the nutrients properly. The MS thing scares me, I just had an MRI to rule it out. The MRI came out Neg, I hope that the MRI is an absolute when it comes to ruling out MS.

#143387 05/22/09 12:59 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Kelly
There must have been a reason to suspect vitamin D deficiency to have order the test in the first place I think. I was found to be vitamin D deficient too. I have been taking supplements on and off for years, so was surprised.
Do you have intestinal problems? If so it could be a malabsorption issue, as with the B12. My deficiency in both D and B12 I put down to my gut issues.

Rach

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson
#143388 05/22/09 12:59 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
OK, if you see that document, it gives a short list including "People with some medical conditions such as certain bowel diseases"

here's one about the link with MS:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2006/1815358.htm
I don't know anything about this, I just heard it on the radio when results of the study were announced (I listen to the geek science shows etc)

winelover #143393 05/22/09 01:58 AM
K
KellyChristal
Unregistered
KellyChristal
Unregistered
K
Thanks for the info winelover.
Rach they think I am having malabsorption issues after being diagnosed with gastritis on Monday. I am sorry you have these issues too, but I am also glad I am not alone.

#143397 05/22/09 02:20 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
The treatment is supplements.

My brother, who is healthy and active and does not have AS or any other chronic health condition, was flagged as having vitamin D deficiency. It's fairly common, especially in the winter when we don't get enough sun.

My daughter who does happen to have Crohn's (in remission) was slightly low recently as well.

I don't know any reason to think it is related to AS.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #143400 05/22/09 02:37 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W

OK, you know IL23R is linked to AS as well as coeliac disease, IBD and psoriasis

winelover #143409 05/22/09 03:30 AM
K
KellyChristal
Unregistered
KellyChristal
Unregistered
K
So I think I have all of those, well, variants of them:

AS, IBD, eczema, endometreosis, migraines, GERD, Gastritis, gastroparesis, man, my GI tract and my Spine (SI Joints to Neck are completely messed up! Cant I just be normal some where?

#143416 05/22/09 09:55 AM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Kelly I also have D and B 12 issue's due to malabsortion. I just take my extra vitamins and I am tested often...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard