Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ok, Swine Flu , our medications, = what for us???
#145677 06/10/09 11:21 AM
G
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Hi all just curious on what your Dr's have said or what you have heard...... I work in a school system which as of yesterday has 2 confirmed cases of the H1S1 flu. I take Sulfazine and Methotrexate...... Little nervous to say the least...I do have a call into my Dr as well

Re: Ok, Swine Flu , our medications, = what for us???
georgie72493 #145679 06/10/09 12:49 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
My daughter who is on a mix of meds, mostly DMARDs and NSAIDs, was told her by the peds Rhumy who is the head of department that it is nothing to worry about. We were going to TX for a trip in the very beginning, and he made an analogy that the death rate of regular flu is much higher than swine flu.

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.
TennisAce #145692 06/10/09 04:36 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
I have found some really interesting information about some of the really bad flu viruses like the 1918 flu (and potentially the Swine Flu ). These flu viruses "mysteriously" seem to be most fatal in the healthy, 20-39 yr old population. This is contrasry to the typical seasonal flu which tends to be more fatal in young children and the elderly. The reason is the "bad" flus cause what is called a "cytokine storm". They cause such an overwhelming immune response that the healthy immune system overresponds and the person literally drowns from a pneumonia crisis. SO...with that said...being on TNFs and other immunosuppressants, we may actually have an advantage of protection against this fatal complication. This article is quite interesting as it covers a mouse study where mice exposed to fatal doses of flu virus, had some mice treated with Orencia. More of tose mice survive than the mice that were untreated. (Makes me want to stockpile Humira for the fall return of the swine flu, for my family;)
Also, google "cytokine storm" there is more info there. Makes me feel better.
Here's the link:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=100795

Phillipians 4:13
goodnightjunebug #145705 06/10/09 10:16 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
June bug is right about healthy people being more suspectible to the "bad" flu virus's. My doctor said that being off all the meds for just a few weeks would cause more damage than the odds of catching the swine flu. That it would also be very hard to regain the stablility I am enjoying. (I am on 4 immune supressants.

Your school might be better to be at, then one without the flu. It will be much easier to teach the children how to sneeze/blow nose and wash hands. The parents might also take it more seriously. Remember, sneeze/cough into elbow not your hand.

I would be more scared to be in an ER environment.

Its all over NYC with a couple deaths. Still riding the subway and train.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Banana #145708 06/11/09 12:32 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
so far there is no vaccine created anyway. Even for us. So all you can do is take every normal precaution you would for ordinary flu. And if you got it then can quickly get you on tamaflu or the other that will TREAT the flu. But I'm not sure if we qualify for having any on hand for if we did catch it because if peolple started taking it at everyday little sniffles and it turned out it wasnt sa flu then you can become immune to that working for you when you really need it.
We all are worried to some extent. But try to still live life and not over worry as thats bad for you too!

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #145734 06/11/09 09:47 AM
G
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Thanks everyone for your reply's! My Dr office just also basically said to follow CDC guidelines.

georgie72493 #145756 06/11/09 03:01 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I still don't see any reason to panic.... it's not widespread yet, and fatalities are pretty rare so far. Vaccines are under development and should be available by this winter's flu season.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #145790 06/12/09 12:04 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Officially a pandecic!!! smile smile smile but like that matters. same ting applies today as yesterday!!!! guess we wait our turn for vaccine.
Stay healthy everyone!!!! wash them hands.....................

- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #145791 06/12/09 12:05 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
lol pandemic.... what are my fingers trying to say? whats a pandecic.

- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #145810 06/12/09 04:01 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hey Guys if you go to the "For Physicians" area on this site and listen to the 2007 seminar they gave. IIRC HLA-B27 positive is thought to be a genetic advantage in fighting off influenza.

Hey is one positive for being positive. (HLA-B27 that is)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard