Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LASIK eye surgery
Spenser23 #152556 08/12/09 04:25 PM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Not Costco size I hope!!!

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #152557 08/12/09 04:28 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Well, it is cheaper to buy it in bulk. smile

Spenser23 #152561 08/12/09 04:46 PM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
I look for the buy 2 get one free deals!!!!!

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
- Socrates
Spenser23 #152562 08/12/09 04:49 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Very interesting discussion. I was tempted, because my vision is really bad, but chose not to pursue the surgery because my eye doctor did not think it was a good idea, even though I have never had iritis. Contacts? No thank you. I have severe dry eye.

But one more thing. I also know what it is like to be blind -- really blind -- due to a chemical burn to both of my eyes in a freak accident when I was young. Several layers of tissue on both eyeballs got burned, so I was left really unable to see anything for long time and in fact was given only a 50-50 chance of being able to see again. (Fortunately, I recovered, but have had to wear glasses since). Anyway, at that time of experiencing actual blindness, I really woke up to how important your eyes truly are. More than any other of our senses, we rely on our vision. Definitely more than hearing, though I don't want to part with that either. So I determined that I would protect my eyes no matter what from that time on. And as a voracious reader whose job actually depends on reading thousands of Chinese characters that took too many years to learn, I am not about to screw around with my vision again. Spenser has a good point -- there is an increased risk to all of us in general -- it is a gamble and I trust most will have no problems. I could not take that risk anymore.

By the way, it never dawned on me to have Lasik done for cosmetic reasons -- it was not because I felt I look worse in glasses, but I because I wanted to be able to see more clearly during all those times when the glasses came off. ; D

DXed with AS almost 40 years ago
Mark D #152618 08/13/09 02:00 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Mark, I only had one time I took my glasses off, too, and it wasn't in the shower either!!!

Elective eye surgery is certainly a personal decision, whether or not complicating factors are present.

I want to mention again, for those with the dry eyes - ask your eye doctor about punctal plugs!! They are little silicone dots that block the lower tear ducts so your tears drain more slowly. It's made a HUGE difference for me! After 3 years they spontaneously fell out and I could TOTALLY tell. This is non invasive and totally reversible if you don't like it, and really can't be all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I used about 4x as many eye drops when the plugs were out!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
CB in CA #152760 08/14/09 07:27 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
Just to chime in....I have yet to find an eye doctor who is willing to do lasik on my because of my AS.....not sure it's such a great idea anyway with our condition. I'll just stick with my glasses!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.
pennie2001 #152832 08/16/09 10:11 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Originally Posted By: pennie2001
......... I'll just stick with my glasses!

me too, Four Eyes, that's me laugh

aslee9 #154519 09/04/09 02:44 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
pre-Lasik my vision was so bad i could not see the big E on the eye chart...so no, wearing glasses or wearing contacts (where each time I did i would get iritis, even with a brand new/fresh pair of lenses) was not good enough for me. my dr was well aware of my existing conditions and had me on a variety of pre-meds before the surgery.

as with any invasive procedure, it's a personal choice where you must weigh all the risks.

We don't know who we are until we see what we can do. --Martha Grimes

AS fighter w/ chronic iritis, Metabolic Syndrome (Diabetes, HBP, High Cholest), PCOS
auntiecole #154520 09/04/09 02:46 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
btw...had my lasik done at mann eye center in medical center of houston...dr mann was a pioneer in lasik along with his partner dr berkley (used to be mann berkley before they split)...nothing but good things to say

We don't know who we are until we see what we can do. --Martha Grimes

AS fighter w/ chronic iritis, Metabolic Syndrome (Diabetes, HBP, High Cholest), PCOS
auntiecole #165239 01/15/10 08:41 PM
K
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
***UPDATE*** I just wanted to let everyone know that I had the LASIK surgery in December after talking with my Rheumy and the eye surgeon.

I now have perfect vision and I am so happy that I went through with it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard