Page 1 of 2 1 2
Insane Knee Pain!!!
#152715 08/14/09 02:06 PM
P
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
P
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I've been having wicked knee pain w/ swelling the past 3 days-not able to sleep due to the pain. Walking is a getting difficult...having stop me in my tracks pain that shoots from hip down to knee. I swear it feels like the pain is radiating right out of my knee joint.

Have tried tylenol extra strength ice, heat, Darvocet, Lidoderm patches...nothing's helping. Any suggestions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.
Re: Insane Knee Pain!!!
pennie2001 #152717 08/14/09 02:37 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Have you called your doctor? Sounds like it's time!! Sorry you're feeling so lousy.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #152724 08/14/09 03:12 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Try pressure. I wear a pair of old leggings that I have that are a size too small. The pressure helps take the edge off. Voltarin gel helps a bit too. No answers to get rid of it, just to make it bearable.

Try a knee brace too? Maybe see a physio, they can give you pressure bandages as well to help with the swelling.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe
Threemules #152726 08/14/09 03:18 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Or maybe magnets? I haven't tried this yet but I know people who swear by them for various purposes. The design is that they increase circulation of blood in that area, which would help with the swelling and the inflammation in general.

Not 100% but there are websites and your physio should be able to talk about it.

Also the physio can do ultra sound treatment which uses sound waves to increase circulation. I think this one is whoey but again I know people it works for (I found NO change).

Just some ideas, anything is worth a shot.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe
Threemules #152738 08/14/09 04:16 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Without knowing what exactly is causing the pain it's hard to find a treatment....

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #152744 08/14/09 05:03 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I'm assuming it's the OA but you're right JIC it could be anything.

Can't hurt to throw out suggestions. I have major knee issues from netball injuries and a full recon. Going down in Oct to look at OA (I'm assuming you mean Osteo) as a possibility (other option is I'm just unlucky) smile

I also have PsA so when I get pain there are two different types. The PsA pain I use pressure for (and also for enthersitis pain) the injury pain I use ice, physio and patience smile I don't get swelling other than the permanent swelling I've had since the injury (one fat knee).

Have you talked about cortisone shots with your Rheumy? I've never had this but apparently it can help heaps. I've taken a course of steroids and I didn't find it helped too much, just took the edge off.

Again not sure if any other this helps! I hope you find some relief soon though!!!

Threemules #152749 08/14/09 05:35 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Your doctor may want to recommend Synvisc injections.

catwoman #152759 08/14/09 07:22 PM
P
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
P
Thanks for the info guys, I do have severe OA in both knees, but it's never been this painful-at least not in a long while. Been there and done that with cortisone injections- no more!! Also have done 2 rounds of synvisc injections, last round went really bad....so bad that the needle popped out of the joint twice in the left knee during insertion and left knee did not play nice for 2 months following that.
Guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay the $50 (ARRGH) co pay to see the rhuemy.....

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.
pennie2001 #152761 08/14/09 07:45 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
oh that is just awful frown I'm sorry you're at the end of your rope like this!!! I hope the rheumy can offer some novel solution for you.

JenInCincy #152762 08/14/09 08:25 PM
P
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
P
I've found oreos and a big glass of milk help ease my pain somewhat..... smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard