Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Who is getting the flu(and/or) swine flu shot?
Banana #154950 09/09/09 01:55 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I'll be getting it, there is a long history of producing flu vaccines, I don't think there's anything to worry about
I got enough things wrong with me without getting flu too

goodnightjunebug #155001 09/09/09 03:35 PM
G
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Thanks Jen...good stuff.

I just came from my rheummy's office. He recommended getting both.
I brought up the topics of Guillain Barre, cytokine storms and immunosupression. He thought they were considerations, but still said it would probably be more beneficial to get it rather than not. Still thinking on it. I'm pretty sure I will get the reg. flu shot. Jen's info is pretty convincing too.
Junebug

Phillipians 4:13
fall_of_moonbeams #155004 09/09/09 04:15 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I plan on getting both due to my job. I work for a hospital and do community social work seeing geriatric patients. So, I feel it's really best practice for me.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.
goodnightjunebug #155020 09/09/09 06:25 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
I will pass on the vaccine. That's my answer to your question.

I also read an article that a healthy auto immune system can make this strain worse.

Here's a couple links to some "decent" info

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8674401787208020885#
http://www.whale.to/b/flexner_report.html
search the net a bit you can find alot answers.

I used to receive ALOT of vaccines, flu, hep vacs offered to first responders. And anything else I could get.

When I was diagnosed with AS, I did a lot of reading and searching.

I came up with the theory that MAYBE I messed with my immune system a bit too much, and inadvertently triggered the disease.

That's MY answer and MY opinion. Call me a "conspiracy kook" if you want. But I asked myself WHY did this happen to me (AS)?

To not take the vaccine is a SERIOUS decesion, check the pros and cons for yourself. Try to not let people influence you one way or the other. NO ONE ELSE has to live with your choice but YOU.
GOOD LUCK!!

rockwell112 #155048 09/10/09 12:02 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
When one searches the net for health information, one must remember to, as they say, "consider the source."

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
goodnightjunebug #155072 09/10/09 03:44 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Jen..."The flu shot is an attenuated (dead) vaccine. The "flumist" is a live vaccine. People who are immune compromised either due to disease like HIV, or medications, should nto get live vaccines".

I recall someone from the health care industry saying this....

"attenuate" or to weaken a live microorganism by aging it or altering its growth conditions. Vaccines made in this way are often the most successful vaccines, probably because they multiply in the body thereby causing a large immune response. However, these live, attenuated vaccines also carry the greatest risk because they can mutate back to the virulent form at any time. Such mutation would result in induction of the disease rather than in protection against it. For this reason, attenuated vaccines are not recommended for use in immunocompromised patients. Examples of attenuated vaccines are those that protect against measles, mumps, and rubella. Immunity is often lifelong with attenuated vaccines and does not require booster shots. (i didn't write that... writing isn't my thing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuated_vaccine

The Big question is!!!! Will the H1n1a vaccine be

1. "Live attenuated"

2. Or "Dead (killed) Attenuated

http://www.immunize.org/vis/2flu.pdf

There's a box (disclaimer?) by the #2 did you notice that?

Ive been looking for how the Vac (h1n1) will be made. I can only find info on live attenuated for the h1n1. Omit all seasonal data

Tests are fine and dandy, and data is great. Which method are they testing and gathering data on?

The Live attenuated is the faster production method I gather. And time is running short.

Dead attenuated require the use of an adjuvent and multiple injections to be effective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunologic_adjuvant

I think this the main concern of the O/P. yes/no...Junebug?

Any info there Jen? Confirm dead attenuated data? Am I wrong with the info?

http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/content/full/11/1/1#SEC10_2
good reading there. It will familiarize you with some terminology

fall_of_moonbeams #155076 09/10/09 04:36 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
The regular flu shot annually and the pneumococcal vaccine every 5 years , or so, is very important. The new H1N1? I am in healthcare so I may have to take it. I will wait at least a month after they start giving it out in Canada, then decide.

Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy (HLA B27 +)Dx Jan 08,on flurbiprofen (Froben), pantoprazole. One THR (other pending),episcleritis,peripheral and axial arthritis. Recently stopped Enbrel due to skin rash. Humira stopped due to double vision. Surgery for sinus infection and double vision. Back on Humira...
canadianeh #155083 09/10/09 09:25 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I'll be seeing my new PCP on the 2nd and I'll ask for both shots, if they're available. Every year I've had a shot, I get sick the night I had it, am sick with a fever and mild flu symptoms for 3-5 days. Not looking forward to that at all.

My kids all have a stomach bug right now- throwing up. I hope I don't get it.

-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.
Jennyfoo #155091 09/10/09 11:20 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
i'll probably get the reg flu shot. it will be a first for me if i get it. i am one of those people that really doesn't get sick during the flu season. i think when i was younger i almost went all of grade school without missing a day due to illness. but now since i started Humira who knows. it will be different this year. even last night my daughter has a rash that could be contagious. i held her some and then washed my hands well after. i am just not used to this at all.

the H1N1 shot I may get. not sure yet, but it won't be out till mid-October so i have a while to figure it out.

Last edited by AS2009; 09/10/09 11:21 AM. Reason: added

Life is now different.
male, 33, diagnosed May '09
tried Celebrex, Oxaprozin (Daypro), and Meloxicam (mobic). Currently on Humira.
AS2009 #155099 09/10/09 01:45 PM
S
spryder
Unregistered
spryder
Unregistered
S
Rockwell, you can read all about current plans for H1N1 vaccine formulations here:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr58e0821a1.htm

To quote the CDC publication:

"Vaccines against novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection are being produced using methods similar to those used for seasonal influenza vaccines. Licensure of vaccines against novel influenza A (H1N1) virus will be based on the same licensure standards used for seasonal influenza vaccines, as is done routinely each year when strains are changed in the seasonal vaccine. Both live, attenuated and inactivated influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent vaccine formulations will be available initially; as with seasonal influenza vaccines, neither of these vaccines will contain adjuvants. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and WHO have selected A/California/07/2009 (H1N1) for use as the strain for the vaccines currently being manufactured.

In previously unvaccinated persons aged <9 years, 2 doses of seasonal influenza vaccine are required to induce immunity because young children typically have had limited exposure to influenza viruses and are not immunologically primed (i.e., they do not have preexisting antibodies) (12). The lack of preexisting antibody cross-reactive with the novel influenza A (H1N1) virus among children and younger adults raises the possibility that 2 doses of vaccine (typically separated by &#8805;21 days) also will be needed to provide protection for persons in these age groups. Ongoing studies will provide additional information about the immune response vaccine, including which groups might need 2 doses. Updated information will be published by CDC in MMWR or will be available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu.

Several vaccines containing an adjuvant also are being studied but probably will not be available initially. These vaccines likely will need to be used under an Emergency Use Authorization. Additional guidance will be provided if adjuvanted vaccines are made available."

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard