Print Thread
Can close contacts get H1N1 nasal mist?
#159886 10/23/09 02:45 AM
N
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
N
I have AS and am on Humira. Does anyone know if it is okay for my husband and son (16) to get the H1N1 live nasal mist being around me? My youngest son (7) has asthma so I know like me, he is not able to have the live nasal mist. But I am unsure about my oldest son and hubby. I have heard conflicting information about if close contacts (family members) of immune compromised individuals can have the nasal mist? Most sources say that close contacts of SEVERELY or PROFOUNDLY immune compromised individuals should not get the live nasal mist. Some go on to explain that "severely" and "profoundly" are people who need specialized treatment such as for bone marrow transplants in protected environments in hospitals. Since I wouldn't consider having AS and being on Humira anything near something like that and in the same category as severely or profoundly immune compromised, I would think it is okay for my hubby and oldest son to get the live nasal mist. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Kris

Re: Can close contacts get H1N1 nasal mist?
norskegirl74 #159887 10/23/09 03:17 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I don't know, but the shot would be my choice for all. Have a good evening. smile

Tia
tiabird #159897 10/23/09 01:08 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I just had to make the same decision. And I went with the CDC's recommendation. I let my son (he's 4) get the mist. It was the only vaccine available here and I thought it would be much more risky to leave him unprotected. He attends daycare and there have been a few cases in his school. When I say CDC's recommendation I am referring to exactly what you state in your post. That it is ok unless someone is severely and profoundly compromised. I did wear a mask when he was getting it and we used a lot of hand sanitizer. That was 4 days ago and so far so good. He will have to get the booster in another month. I figured some protection is better than none. I too had trouble making that decision. I did a lot of research before I brought him.
Good luck to you,
Amanda.

30 w/AS, Mom to Elijah (5 yrs old), Step mom to Caleb and Colby and happily partnered to Corey. Knee and chest pain since childhood, back pain since adolescence. Taking: Arava, provigil, oxycontin, prozac, restasis, trazodone and Remicade.
norskegirl74 #159898 10/23/09 02:00 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Try to ignore info you "hear" and make decisions based on the facts from the experts - in this case I would defer to the CDC. You are not in the same category as people with AIDS or status post bone marrow transplant. It is fine for your family to get the flumist. Frankly with the H1N1 distribution so slow and limited, they should take whatever they can get!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #159913 10/23/09 03:01 PM
N
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
N
Thanks for your responses! Jen, I should have been more clear in what I wrote before. I should have said "I have read conflicting information" not "heard". I am not one to make any decision based on what I've heard, like you I prefer facts. Like I said before though, all the information I have read hasn't been completely consistant. And by what I read I meant what I read on the CDC website (which is the severely and profoundly affected like Amanda also said). I also looked up the Dept. of Health for my state, my local Health Dept., and my Drs office website. Most of them state no for severely or profoundly affected, but one says "close contacts of people with weakened immune systems should not get the H1N1 nasal mist" so after reading that I became unsure. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't consider myself in the same category as people who are considered severely immune compromised so I felt it was okay for them to have it. I just wanted to see what you all thought and if anyone else had to make this decision also. Since the CDC says it's okay and most of the information I read said that as well, I will have them get it since it's all that is available around here right now. I agree with you guys, with so much swine flu already around and around here with kids at my church sick with it and at my oldest son's high school, I think it's far better to have them get what they can to try to be protected rather than nothing at all and risk it! I have seen what can happen with a child very sick with the seasonal flu and having to be hospitalized because they are so weak and ill as that happened to my younger son who has asthma when he was 3 and it was very, very scary!

Thanks again guys! Have a great day!
Kris

norskegirl74 #159919 10/23/09 04:23 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Stay well Kris! Several of my immediate co-workers have already had it, and/or have kids who are sick with it ... it's spreading like wildfire!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard