need help in regards to waiver information
#159945 10/23/09 11:11 PM
S
saintr1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
I am a 23 year man whos main objective in my life has to enter the Navy BUD/s program. I was diagnosed with AS when I was 18 after an inflamation of my large toe was noticed. After taking meds the swelling went down and has stayed so since and my doctor told me it looked like my remission would very well be indefinite. I have never felt any pain from it, I was a cadet at The Citadel from 2005 to may 2009 and I never felt any sort of pain from the AS. I have had a highly intense workout regimen for the past few years consisting of 40 miles of running per week, an hour plus of weight lifting everyday and swimming 3 times a week, none of this ever produced any sort of inflamation or pain in my body. When i graduated I had one of the highest pt scores in the corps of cadets, a 390 on the Army scale. As you can see my AS in no way has put me at a disadvantage physically, but I am worried that the Navy wont see it that way and dq me regardless. I am very concerned about this, if I was told I couldn't be a SEAL it would absolutely devastate me. Please help if you have information you can pass on to me.

Thank you,

Ted

Re: need help in regards to waiver information
saintr1 #159963 10/24/09 02:21 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I'm wondering if you had a 'mis-diagnosis' at age 18....

~ Trudi
35 yo mum to 5 kids!
dx with 'probable AS' in the middle of 1995 in the Navy. positive inflammatory spondyloarthritis dx by the end of that year. no meds really work yet. am trying sulfasalazine plus a lot of alternative therapies.
www.madebytrudi.blogspot.com
TrudiD #159966 10/24/09 03:28 AM
S
saintr1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
I dont think so, I went to a doctor considered one of the best rheumatologists in my state, and I was prescribed sulfasalazine, she told me the best thing to do was to take the meds and stay active, guess it worked, but it still presents the problem of a dq.

saintr1 #160080 10/26/09 12:31 AM
D
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
I was diagnosed with AS while I was on active duty in the army (10SFG). I was retired from the army a couple of years after I was diagnosed. I was then 21 years old. My diagnosis was subsequent to a spinal injury so my own case is a little different. I was told by the military that "as a rule", when it comes to AS, they will take into consideration the amount of pain one is in and the amount of disability. I've met AS patients who served complete careers while being treated for AS. There were no limitations placed on service that the patient didn't place on themselves. In other words, they don't automatically give a P4 profile or affect one's deployability because of AS. Keep in mind though that the requirement for certain medications will make one non-deployable. And as we both know in an SpecOps MOS you cannot be non-deployable. I currently work at the Combined Arms Command at Ft. Leavenworth. I will do some checking to see if there is anything specific you can do to assure that you have the sort of military career that you're looking for.

DaleD #160236 10/28/09 03:21 AM
S
saintr1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Thank you Dale, I haven't taken medication for AS since I was 18, I was told that it would most likely stay in remission for the rest of my life as long as I have an active lifestyle. Quite honestly, I think a doctor at MEPS or any doctor for that matter would have trouble finding anything without doing a blood test. I have had no symptoms of the disease since I was 18. I certainly appreciate any help you could give me.

saintr1 #160504 10/31/09 02:04 AM
F
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
Originally Posted By: saintr1
Thank you Dale, I haven't taken medication for AS since I was 18, I was told that it would most likely stay in remission for the rest of my life as long as I have an active lifestyle. Quite honestly, I think a doctor at MEPS or any doctor for that matter would have trouble finding anything without doing a blood test. I have had no symptoms of the disease since I was 18. I certainly appreciate any help you could give me.

They don't find AS with blood tests as it is not that type of arthritis. About the only blood tests they can do with it is for the gene which lets them know you are more likely too have it but even then not usually. Pain, restricted movement over time as it progresses and it does, and by the damage seen on the xrays that which at first can't be seen on them, but over time builds and builds and can be easily seen do tell them. Remission does not mean it went away or stopped but just that it is not giving you an obvious problem at the moment. It will hit your eyes, lungs and various parts of you body over time and time waits for no man.

Now with all that said I would heavily suspect you don't have the disease at all if you are giving us the full straight story on this, that with only a swollen painful toe he diagnosed you with AS with nothing before or after. I would get a second opinion on this pronto and make sure they have the other doctors records to see why he made that conclusion.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard