#161657 11/15/09 02:28 PM
P
Pigbaby Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
P
Hello all...

I am not looking into SSI or anything in that area. I am a 17 year Law Enforcement Veteran. What has come up recently is this. Apparently my agency is self-insured up to the first $50,000 of medical bills. I have been "subtly" told that I may want to watch my medical bills. I have been told that folks are watching my condition. I have been employed with this agency for 15 years. I am worried that they may seek a reason to terminate me if this thing gets worse. Apparently it is getting worse. They are about to get the next round of medical bills anytime now. Any thoughts on what to do here? I love my job. I am really a paper pusher and supervisor these days. But I am still a LEO. I never know what each day will bring. I can not imagine what I would do if I lost this career. After having been subtly warned...I am scared to see the doctors again.

Re: A Career Problem
Pigbaby #161660 11/15/09 03:13 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Maybe search for undividual coverage, I have been looking myself and BCBS has some afforadable options. I'm not sure if you have insurance now if it is considered a pre-existing condition. I listed my meds to get a quote and it did not give me a high price because of them. There are agents that can probably answer that. I know when my daughter changed jobs she got a letter of insurability from here previous insurance company, so maybe as long as you are insured now it would be ok. Don't cost nothing to ask them. Good luck with it and let us know what you decide.

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started.

mrye4709 #161676 11/15/09 06:06 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Some insurance companies ask for a certain form - can't remember what it's called - that shows you have had coverage as you switch to a new one. This is needed for their pre-existing condition clause. BCBS had that when we switched from my work insurance. It was easy to get though.

I would definitely look into a different policy. I hope your work doesn't fire you! That would stink!

melaniej #161703 11/16/09 04:17 AM
R
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Hi, Pigbaby. If you are inquiring as to the legal aspects of your employment situation, I would speak with a local attorney regarding your rights.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.
Rich Feingold #171073 04/07/10 09:47 AM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Hi Pig Baby,
First of all thanks for your service. I have been a detention deputy for 18 years. Several years back I started suffering with severe neck and back pain and medical testing revealed no answers. I worked light duty for some time and even though my symptems remained I forced the issue with my Doctor and returned to normal duty. I felt weak being a lieutenant and not being there when my staff gave the call for assistance. About a year ago I began getting worste and since have started missing a lot of work. Pride and love for the job has made it hard for me to give in but I find that I cannot even be productive behind a desk and worry that I may not be able to defend myself let alone a fallen officer though I would try to the end. My agency has been supportive but I feel that is drawing to an end. I am not certain that they can just fire me or if that might be in my best intrest. I hate losing my career like this but feel that disability may be best if I qualify. I have the support of my rhumy and pain management. I am sorry this is so long but hoped knowing the story would get me better advise. I am diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and it is getting severe. Thanks for your time and any advice.

Guitarman #171197 04/08/10 02:42 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Hello, Guitarman. Thank you for your service, too. The fact that you have the support of your rheumatologist and pain management doctor is a good thing. Based upon your descriptions, it sounds like your conditions and their limitations have made the decision for you as to whether or not you can work. I certainly wish you the best of luck during your claim process and would be pleased to answer any other questions you may have.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard