Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone else have pulmonary hypertension?
#174981 05/20/10 10:28 PM
I
Ides Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I
Saw my rheumy and a recent echocardiogram shows I now have pulmonary hypertension. Rheumy says this is from my "back disease" and my other autoimmune issues, particularly asthma and allergies. Pulmonary hypertension is a serious disease and not one that I find to be associated with AS after doing several searches.

Does anyone else have this? And if so, were you told it was associated with your AS? Thanks!
Ides

Besides, AS, dealing with Crohn's, peripheral neuropathy, avascular necrosis,, PAD, and a host of other issues.
Re: Anyone else have pulmonary hypertension?
Ides #175060 05/21/10 03:57 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
The only way to definitively diagnosis pulmonary hypertension is with a right heart catherization. I had an echo done, and they diagnosed pulmonary hypertension because my backflow through the tricuspid valve was so high. However, when they did a right heart cath, they checked the actual pressures in the heart, and I didn't have it after all. If they are telling you that you have it without having done a heart cath, then they are diagnosing it incorrectly. I went to the Mayo Clinic and they checked mine out.

Lisa K.
"Attitude is everything"
Merlin #175065 05/21/10 05:35 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Just had an echo with trace tricuspid valve regurgitation. Mom who died with lymphoma (she also had signs of chronic inflammatory diseases earlier but was never evaluated) developed pulmonary hypertension during the mid-phase of her disease.

Female age 67. HLA B-27 negative spondylitis, Crohn's, M-type MGUS, incomplete cauda equina syndrome, osteoporosis, peripheral neuropathy, asthma. Remicade, low dose prednisone, tramadol, nortriptyline at bedtime for neuropathic pain. Daughter 40 has B-27 positive AS and has used Enbrel about 25 years.
JTip #175188 05/23/10 03:29 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
My tricuspid regurgitation was extremely high, and my right atrium was somewhat enlarged, which indicates higher pressure in the right side of the heart. Plus I have diastolic dysfunction and concentric hypertrophy of the left ventricle. All this indicates high pressure in the heart, but when I had the heart cath done, everything came back normal. I don't know if pulmonary hypertension can flare like autoimmune diseases or not, but all the exams didn't make sense. Every echo I've had done, they have said I definitely have pulmonary hypertension, but the cath said no. So I don't know if I have it or not at this point.

Lisa K.
"Attitude is everything"
Ides #252394 05/20/13 02:23 AM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
Merlin, I know it's been 3 years since you wrote this queery but I have spondylitis and have just been diagnosed with moderate to severe tricuspid valve regurgitation and enlarged chamber of the heart due to the backup of blood. This was totally out of the blue as I had a stress echo 8 years ago that was fine. I've been reading that this is usually caused by something on the left side of the heart or pulmonary hypertension. I was wondering if you had another heart cath after the one 3 years ago and if you answered your question, does pulm. hyp. flare like autoimmune disease.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard