exercise
#178205 06/28/10 12:34 AM
A
Audie Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Hi all! I've been trying to start exercising again in hopes that my pain levels go down. I've been told that swimming is the "best" way to exercise with this disease. I try to go swimming often and do enjoy it, but I want to do the same outdoor activities that I did before I started having symptoms of this disease. I'm 23 and I don't want this disease to limit every single thing that I do anymore!

I tried to go running today, but now my knees feel like they are broken and my back is aching worse than when I lay on my back for long periods of time. I don't get it! I thought exercise was "good" for this disease?

SO, I'm posting to ask...what are some good (and SAFE) exercises that won't leave me feeling like I've been hit by a truck...but at the same time will be challenging and good/healthy for my joints? I'm looking to try and do a short/easy workout once a day then work my way back up to moderate longer workouts 3-4 times a week.

Re: exercise
Audie #178206 06/28/10 12:44 AM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
welcome audie, before i was dxd. i was playing singles tennis for 3 hours at a time. i just love pain, lol. i also did aerobics and aerobic slide. i do not advocate running as pounding can increase damage, tho we have many here who do run. it all depends on how you feel. stretching, low weight repetitive weights are good. i also missed out on that machine, the elipical. they weren't around when i needed something more. now i am too broken beyond stretching, and water movement, and daily walking.

i think you should go for what you are able to do without pain.

you will know.

meanwhile, go to the start of the saa site here. they have exercises listed, and as a new member you are eligible for one set of brochures which tell about matters such as this. check out the whole site, there is tons of information here.

take care, prayers and peace, sequoia

#178580 07/01/10 02:38 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
Audie, not sure if you've tried a spin or cycling class.

I've been doing them for almost a year...for the most part I get through them just fine with a few modifications. I don't do nearly the amount of resistance the class typically does, nor do I participate in all the jumps and hoovers-but I enjoy the class as a rule. The spin seems to work, doesn't put much strain/weight on the knees or other problem areas. My Rhuemy ok'd it as well....just as long as I "listen to my body" as she puts it.
Good Luck.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."-Aristotle.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.
pennie2001 #178669 07/02/10 08:39 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I do an aerobics class, but strictly low impact to no-impact. I am VERY careful not to have any impact at all and am able to either do the exercises, or modify them significantly so that I can still benefit from them. I also cycle outdoors twice a week, and as long as I stop after about 20 miles and stand up, I can pretty much do it without pain.

Lisa K.
"Attitude is everything"
Audie #178691 07/03/10 03:07 AM
E
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
I am SO WITH YOU! I want to do the same things I did before, and it really bums me out that I can't. cry

2 years ago this month I hiked 11 miles easy, and last week I barely made it 2 miles. The only reason I made it the whole way is my EGO, because my hiking buddies were 82 and 68... and I'm 50.

After that little jaunt I spent the next 3 days in bed with a swollen eye, ringing in my ears, and a hip flare.

Where I'm going with this story is that this disease just has it's way. Period. Running is high impact, while swimming is not.

I started swimming every day a year ago, and have regained 80%+ mobility, and decreased pain by at least 60%. I am not a natural swimmer who enjoys the sport.

I have heard that swimming, tai chi, and gentle yoga are the best workouts for "us". Also, the more you trash your joints now, the more they will trash you later! Sorry for this bad news, but it's true. frown

Good luck to you! I hope you're able to make peace with this thing soon. It's hard at 50, and I imagine that it's WAY harder at 23.

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Dx JRA age 9 & uSpA age 50

Water exercise has saved my life!
KickAS.org has saved my sanity!

EricaK #179042 07/08/10 01:15 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Try an elliptical. They're easy on the joints. (Make sure to keep your knees bent while on it.)

Running is extremely bad on your knees. Don't do it again!

Go to a gym and try an elliptical machine. See how that goes.

monkey #179053 07/08/10 02:27 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I tried an elliptical before and my toes went numb. Has that happened to anyone or am I just weird?

I so wish there was a pool close I would love to get in and just enjoy it....but I live in a rual area and the only one close by is an hour away.

I've seen the infomercials for Zumba and it looks fun. Just dancing and I like to dance. Anyone heard of it or tried it?

Anyways, I need to get moving and wish I could just start and NOT stop. That's my big problem, I start but I don't make it a prioraty. How do you stay motivated?

Joyce - Mom to Dylan (13), Joshua (11)
*Cimzia, Diclophenac, Methotrexate*
joey #179054 07/08/10 02:39 AM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
joyce, my daughter (who likely has RA but refuses to go to the doc yet due to insurance and age, she is 26) was CRAZY about zumba. she can no longer do it due to her knees. it looks so fun, i would give anything to try it. but, well, what can i say? find something you are happy with. some folks here like the Wii sports or workout game.

i just love to walk, and we are finally getting another dog on sunday. my hubby and i have been daily walking all of our 33 years of marriage. it is the best time to talk, the best. just the two or 3 with the dog. we took our twins when they were little.

i just love to look around at nature. birds, parks, wherever.

find something you can do and you will stay with it more than if you don't care for it.

prayers and peace, s.

#179080 07/08/10 01:48 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Numb feet on the elliptical or stairmaster or bike - anything where your feet are in one position and they have a lot of pressure on them - is de rigeur. Some ellipticals (like the one I have) have adjustable foot pedals which can help with the discomfort.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #179093 07/08/10 03:09 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Yeah, what JenInCincy said. Joey, you're not weird, I got that problem too, and then I discovered that the toe numbness from ellipticals was caused by being in the same position with my feet too long. The solution is to mix it up, to alternate putting the weight on your heel and then on your toes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard