Print Thread
People keep suggesting disability
#188109 10/26/10 04:47 PM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Folks, am I the only one that keeps having people suggest I apply for disability? It's not just once in a while, it's nearly every week! Family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and even strangers.

I just don't feel ready for that. I'm doing everything I can to obtain improvement through medical treatment. Will be starting Humira soon, so I'm REALLY hoping that will help more than the prednisone and methotrexate have done so far.

Why don't more people understand the need to work? I'm pretty surprised at everyone pushing for disability.

Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.
Re: People keep suggesting disability
Sundance #188111 10/26/10 04:59 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
I have people say the same thing to me too! I'm only 36! And yes even tho i hurt sometimes from head to toe i don't FEEL disable. I keep thinking, "aren't there people out there worse off than i, who may need it more?" Then others say "Hey, you have just as many complaints and problems as others, and deserve it just as much!" Which then makes me think maybe i should? I mean i don't walk with a cane, or that sort of thing, but i can NOT do all the things i use to do. After a few hours of somewhat hard work, i'm so done, and then hurt unbelievabley for days and pay for it. I use to play softball, volleyball, and could run, and i can't do any of that anymore. I'm afraid if i did apply i'd be laughed at like "yeah right, you're not disabled" Then people say it sometimes takes years to get it, need to start the process now. I'm just as confused.

Charmin 37
Proud mother to 2 baseball, football playin boys
Logan 15 and Landon 13
Married to Ryan (My rock and best friend!)

riedesel88 #188112 10/26/10 05:02 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Sorry for all the discouraging "advice" guys frown

There is a "Questions about USA Social Security Disability Benefits" forum here, with a disability attorney answering questions. Maybe if you skim some of the info you'll get a better idea of what disability is about and where it may fit into your current/future plans (or not!)

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #188139 10/26/10 06:21 PM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
No your not the only one my Dr wanted me to 2yrs ago so he could give me pain meds but I was 48 and still had a family to feed so I waited as long as I could, but when you can't work app. right away or it will go against you

Niel #188146 10/26/10 08:15 PM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
I'm not really asking if I qualify right now. I came pretty close to having to stop work this summer at one point, but I'm back to being able to work part-time for now. If I absolutely can't work, I will definitely apply.

I'm just surprised that so many people are pushing me for it. Which seems a bit strange when other times I hear people complaining about all the folks on disability that don't deserve it. But I also know my share of folks that either deserve or don't deserve it. Especially folks that REALLY deserve it, and who still haven't applied yet. Maybe we each see more deserving folks, and just hesitate to apply for ourselves.

Charmin, I really sympathize with your feelings! When I compare what I can do now with what I could do just 2 years ago, I still have a hard time accepting it. Just a couple of weeks ago, I "assisted" someone who was painting wood boards in my back yard for me. All I did was paint the narrow ends of 3 or 4 boards (took maybe 2-3 minutes), and then sit down for 10 minutes until the next board ends were ready. Had to squat or kneel on the ground to paint them.

Only worked a total of 45 minutes or so, spread over 3 hours. I paid for that effort with 4 days of major pain and fatigue. The irony was we were painting the boards for my new raised garden beds, so I wouldn't have to squat near the ground to garden!! But I still hesitate to consider myself disabled.

Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.
Niel #188147 10/26/10 08:18 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
When people started mentioning it to me, I did do research. Disabled people would say when I asked, "don't wait till you can't work at all because it takes time and you won't have a life". Several said they waited too long to apply. I didn't ask non disabled people because some think that is great to go on disability while I didn't.

So many said don't wait too long that I dropped to 30 hours a week and my life was better. Then I worked fewer and fewer hours because I had to. When I finally applied they back dated the disability two years because I had been part time for a while.

When I went part time, I started a garden for the exercise. Now it is a big part of my life for most months of the year.

I'll say what the others said to me "don't wait too long or you will be too worn out to live".

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Banana #188177 10/27/10 03:39 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
You and your dr are the ones that should make this decision. I was at the point that everyday I coudl barely walk-much less try to work. It was making me worse , as so the stress of it and my dr told me to go on diability. It was a breath of fresh air! You will know when the time is right!

Jean Angel #188181 10/27/10 05:16 AM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
I get the same thing. And actually I do want to apply but do not think I have a heck of chance. Even my Rhuemy said the same thing. I can barely function anymore. I would simply suggest that you remind people you are not ready to do so yet. Eventually they may stop.

LisaNR

Undiff. Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Dry Eye, IBSD, GERD, Chronic Gastritis, Auto Immune Hashimoto's (Thyroid)
PCOS, Insulin Resistance, High Cholesterol, Gallbladder removed, Hidradinitis Suportiva, B-12 Deficient, Migraines, TMJ, Chronic Rhinitis and Sinusitis, Allergies, Rosacia, Vitamin D Deficient, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Spondy is stressful!), etc. etc. etc.
LisaNR #188188 10/27/10 12:51 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
As a person who taught special education for the past 20 years while suffering from AS and its related illnesses, I can say that mother nature will tell you when to apply for SSDI..I was lucky enough to be able to keep on keepin' on until last year when my neck pain coupled with a ton of BS from the school system made my ability to work next to impossible...having a Master's degree in vocational rehabilitation counselling, I knew that I could NOT continue with teaching...could not stand for long time...unable to write on blackboard...could not turn my body in order to watch the room...thank G-d I had years of sick time and I used it in order to keep on payroll and have benefits for the year....applied for SSDI last winter and was approved in June....with the new regs just started, the process should now take only WEEKS (see SS web page for details).

Stuart Merenbloom-a 30 year sufferer of AS and still in pain most of the time:).
Jean Angel #188228 10/27/10 04:07 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted By: Jean Angel
You and your dr are the ones that should make this decision. I was at the point that everyday I could barely walk-much less try to work. It was making me worse , as so the stress of it and my dr told me to go on disability. It was a breath of fresh air! You will know when the time is right!

Agreed. I got to the point where trying to work was greatly increasing my suffering and impacting my family. When we (my wife and I) finally made the decision that I couldn't do this anymore, it was a HUGE relief.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard