Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Belly issues with AS
garden13 #196781 02/04/11 03:26 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
garden,

My IBS flares, if I eat many of the wrong things. I can eat these things in small amounts, but I have to plan for it first.

For me it's fried foods, heavy foods, and sometimes spicy foods. I had to increase the amount of fiber in my diet. Seriously increase the fiber in my diet....

I eat lots of sweet potatoes, prunes, flax seed, oats, nuts, berries, bananas, avocados, broccoli and carrots. These are all main staples in my diet. I eat a large combination of soluble and insoluble fiber. I also drink ALOT of water. I take in almost a gallon or more a day. When I first started having IBS symptoms, and got my DX I did alot of research, I also spent some time charting what I ate, and how it affected me. I found that I could enjoy certain "bad" foods, if I was careful to take in extra amounts of my staple foods through out my day, and take a famotodine before I sat down to eat the "bad" food. I still have moments sometimes, but my flares are few and far between now.

Stress affects my IBS, my first 6-9 months of IBS I had to plan for a bathroom break every 10-15 minutes if we were traveling, just incase I was having a bad day, or had eaten the wrong thing. I can now plan ahead and have an uneventful road trip or flight.

Sharon,
If you are looking for ways to increase your iron levels, try eating foods cooked in an iron skillet, raw spinach (any dark leafy greens), egg yolks, artichokes (also a high fiber food) beans, and of course red meat.

Hope this helps.

AS Dx'd Feb'11 symptoms for 2-3 years
GERD & IBSD 10+ years
Asthma 25+ years
Spondylolisthesis 2+ years
Hypersomnia
garden13 #196797 02/04/11 05:51 PM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Garden, IBS should NOT cause bleeding. Did they find a cause for the bleeding? Fissures? Hemorrhoids? Anything?

IBD can be hiding in places a colonoscopy can't reach. In general, there's at least 14 feet of small bowel that a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy do not touch. You need a small bowel follow through and/or pill endoscopy to really rule these conditions out. Don't be like me and accept a nonsensical IBS diagnosis for nearly 3 years while your condition worsens. Not to say it can't be IBS plus something else, but if they didn't explain the bleeding and still threw the IBS label at you, run find another GI.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol
iviary #196806 02/04/11 06:54 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Garden, I will agree with iviary. If you have bleeding and the Dr. hasn't given a very real and realistic reason for the bleeding, do not let that go.

GERD & IBSD 10+ years
Asthma 25+ years
Hypersomnia
asgirl #196812 02/04/11 07:26 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
No the colon was clean- he could get about 3-4 inches into the small intestine too. The bleeding is from a hemorrhoid that was caused from the NSAIDS (well the bleeding part was) and an antibiotic from bronchitis I got from the remicade. (edit to add- the antibiotic and NSAID caused bad diareah which caused the hemorrhoid.)

No don't worry, when I mentioned the bleeding the dr had me in for a colonoscopy within 2 days of seeing him, would have been sooner but the day in between he was in a different hospital. His first thought was IBD due to the AS and bleeding.

He's one of the best GIs around. He's taken really good care of me. He's actually the first one to ask about my back and did lumbar and hip x-rays when I had pelvic pain (which was when this whole darn thing started.) I thought it was either bad gas or an ovary, I had a cyst, but when the pain stayed for months with nothing showing up anywhere he did the x-ray and they noticed some issues, from there he sent me to a rheumy.

garden13 #196830 02/04/11 09:46 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I had bleeding for the same reason. it's sort of common from what i understood.

Diagnosed: ankylosing spondylitis Feb '10, Crohn's Nov '09, GERD Aug '09, Scleritis May '08, Scoliosis '92
HLA-b27 negative
Surgery: Scoliosis Spinal fusion July '99
Current Meds: Humira, Asacol, Reglan, Dexilant, Tramadol, Maalox, and Xibrom (Bromfenac).
No more sulfasalazine and Iron
outlier #196837 02/04/11 11:22 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
If you had a hemorhoid then the bleeding is common with IBS. I have that problem with mine. I just didn't want you to discount it as part of IBS without knowing for certain. Also the high fiber diet is a great way to help ease the IBS symptoms and keep the hemorhoids at bay.

GERD & IBSD 10+ years
Asthma 25+ years
Hypersomnia
garden13 #196873 02/05/11 05:11 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Gosh - I had never heard of Cryptitis before!

However, I think John is right. I would add that I suspect that Riboflavin is a componant of the lining, from how my body reacted.
Belly issues
From my experience==== Bloating helped by removing starch, eating yoghurt, avoiding overeating, taking L-carnitine [swollen liver reduced], changing fibre levels in diet, eating better quality food, vitamins. No gassy lentils!

If it is a fat issue, I think it is just the extra comfort food we tend to eat since most of us battle with mood [?] and the fact that exercise is so hard to get when one is in pain with every step taken.
A body starving of any nutrient is trying to make up its loss by wanting extra. I used to have such an appetite.

garden13 #196899 02/05/11 03:43 PM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
I have UC but never blood in the stool or diarrhea...my GI thought my lack of symptoms was odd compared to what he saw on the walls of my colon. But, I had all these aches, pain and iritis...

John, age 53
Dx: Elevated PSA 2003, repeated iritis with macular edema 2003-2007, Pancolitis 2008, AS 2009
Meds: Vitamin D, Prednisone, Apriso, Tramadol, Humira
lath #196904 02/05/11 08:43 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Hemorrhoids aren't caused by NSAIDs - they are not ulcers - they are essentially varicose veins in the rectum. When they bleed it is because the sensitive veins are irritated and rupture, essentially. More info here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000292.htm

NSAIDs cause bleeding by inhibiting prostaglandins which have a role in maintaining the stomach lining. So lower levels of prostaglandins can mean the lining is more susceptible to breakdown by stomach acid - ergo, ulcer. If it gets bad enough, bleeding ulcer.

http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_anti-inflammatory_drugs_and_ulcers/page2.htm

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #196930 02/06/11 03:04 AM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
I believe there is psoriasis that can be located at the rectum as well. Psoriasis can be common with AS.

I myself have stomach issues, which do not relate to any meds I am taking for AS because I did'nt take any meds when it accrue. Basically I had blood in my stool which prompted me to find a Dr and I had a colonsocopy. I thought it was being treated tell I spent two weeks in bed with mucus/bloody bowl movements. Not sure if I would call it Diarrhea because I had an Xray which showed loads of poo. So it was more just mucas and blood.

That colonoscopy which pointed to "ulcerative proctitis" (you got me why it's not colitis or other)
Then I moved and found a second Gastroenterologist that said "I would call it crohn's however, I did not do the colonoscopy"

I tyred many medications:
None effect;
Colazal
sulfasalazine
suppositories (not sure what medication)

Bad effect;
mesalamine .2% has this side effect (Oh my I have extreme side effects from this, like worse then the case it is treating, i was in bed for 3 days when I wasn't crapping blood 20x a day)

What helped a little for stomach but a lot for rest of AS was
Prednisone
My stomach was best helped by
Corticosteroids
Best help I found to date:
Remicade with MTX

Your body may react differently as mine has. But I found Remicade great for those experiencing AS with chrons/colitis. This drug is very expensive so is the way it's medicated. Not sure if there is insurance providers that cover it? ? Would be intresting to find out.

Last edited by GrinMEaSmile; 02/06/11 03:14 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard