London AS Diet
#198909 02/22/11 10:14 PM
J
jah3681 Offline OP
First time visitor
OP Offline
First time visitor
J
Recently diagnosed with AS and currently not on any medication other than Ibuprofen as my wife and I are hoping to conceive before the rheumatologist starts me on sulfasalazine. My brother-in-law stumbled across the London AS Diet when looking up something else that was unrelated and told me about it. I asked my rheumatologist, and he had not heard anything about this diet. Said he normally recommends that a person just simply eat healthy, along the lines of the FDA's recommendations (whole grains, lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies, etc.).

My question is has anyone had much luck with the London AS Diet in reducing pain and inflammation? How long did it take for it to make a difference? Has anyone tried it and it not made any difference? I'm just not interested in jumping into something like this without finding out from experienced people the pros and cons. I'm a very healthy eater right now, so not really looking to change diet unless it may help with pain. Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Re: London AS Diet
jah3681 #198919 02/23/11 01:41 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hello, jah3681:

I have had great results with diet, but one more aggressive than London (LSD); NSD per Carol Sinclair's "The New IBS Low-Starch Diet," with foreword by Professor Alan Ebringer.

Diet is a rather too subjective thing to evaluate without some scientific metrics; most people fail unless they stick with it over years instead of just trying it out. The majority of people probably do not want it to work, but for those of us who MADE it work, it has been life-changing.

If Your AS is bad enough that You could fast for seven days to take down a flare (and I have fasted 20 days to put myself in lasting remission), You can prove the food connection for Yourself.

I advocate diet with antibiotics and most of the time now, after 12 years of solid remission through this method, I do not require antibiotics. I was able to control symptoms in early diet days only by eliminating milk products in addition to being very strict with starches (testing everything with iodine and being aware of things like additives and that caramel, for example, although not starchy, can also become food for our nemesis germ).

Hundreds of fellow ASers have been able to control their symptoms and avoid sequelae--some through diet alone and many using antibiotics in addition. Whether it is the right approach for You is Your personal decision, but I can do much more than just claim it works, while all detractors have are words and zero experience.

HEALTH to You,
John (now in Philippines where mangoes are not starchy)

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

Tacitus #199060 02/24/11 05:01 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I have also had success with the low starch diet. I have also started using antibiotics as of January this year.

And I agree completely with John, many here will claim that it does not work (specifically diet) ... and the only way to find out what works for YOU is to keep trying until something does work. It may be hard, but if your AS is bad enough, it is worth it.

Diag - USpA/AS JUN-10 // HLA-B27+
Humira started DEC-10, every 2 weeks
Started Minocycline antibiotic therapy JAN-11
no/low starch diet started OCT-10
Natural Supplements: Super Joint Complex, Omega 3, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Milk Thistle, Men's Multi, Probiotic Blend, Zyflamend
Phil1349 #202140 03/21/11 03:28 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I have just been diagonsed, I started a no starch diet on Firday. I was wondering what antibiotics are used if yoiu can't take Sulfa drugs. I am going to my primary tomorrow to discuss and would like to know my options.

Thanks!

Shell22 #202397 03/23/11 08:20 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T

Hello, Shell22:

I highly recommend tetracycline about 15-30 minutes before each of three largest meals so in my case that is 500 X 3=1500mg daily; it would of course depend upon Your physician's advice. Another drug that has some potential is Rifaximin, but depending upon how long You have had AS it might be a good thing to use Flagyl and Cipro in relative short cycles but again this is at the discretion of a physician.

Although I have developed my own AP (Antibiotic Protocol) for AS, and provide it to people interested in this form of treatment, I suggest finding a cooperative physician such as those on the Road Back Foundation's listing.

Good Luck to You,
John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story

Tacitus #202847 03/27/11 02:53 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
My more recent research tends to suggest that it is all about a loss of enzymes. My own seems to be the actions of a gene that prevents pyridoxine Vitamin B6 from opperating properly. It is connected with the proper formation of the enzimes digesting starch - if we have a lot of starch hanging about in the intestine not only would we be prone to allergy type reactions, but autoimmune bacterial ones and also cancer [Auckland researcher] That is why starch makes a difference.
Note - another blogger on the lack of diamine oxidase also.

look up metabolic myopathies.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1173338-overview

North
PreAS = STARCHfree, yoghurt, ,, meat , vitE, niacinamide,B complex
CARNITINE, B6
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place
Tacitus #211256 06/24/11 05:50 AM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
Hi Tacitus, you mentioned that you fasted to calm down a flare. I've been going through a vicious cycle of eating junk, and it's been hard for me to stop...I think due to other things as well (perhaps celiac, which I'll go see the doctor about), but I was thinking of fasting for a week to change this bad behaviour which has been causing me pain in my right hip. I did the low-starch diet for about 3 months and it worked great, but unfortunately I was taking a lot of anti inflammatories as well and it hurt my stomach, so now I'm taking proton inhibitors as well. For some reason at the time, I thought eating breads and rice would help make my tummy better (doctor said it could turn into an ulcer if I didn't take care of it), so ever since I began eating bread, rice etc. I couldn't stop. It's been about three months now and I've been feeling bloated and heavy...I would really like to do a fast to end this vicious cycle of pain and overeating. Do you have any advice about this? Should it be a water fast? I've done a one day water fast before but that was hard >.<' I don't know if I'll be able to do it for a week, but at the same time, I don't want any pain, and I definitely don't want symptoms to get worse in the future.

Last edited by PassTheBaton; 06/24/11 05:54 AM.
PassTheBaton #211343 06/25/11 11:13 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hello, PassTheBaton:

I very much recommend fasting to take down flares, especially, and fasting is the easiest diet to follow--but You need to be in the right frame of reference to do it, and preferably have very little stresses or outside influence (EVERYBODY is an expert on fasting--especially those people who have NEVER DONE IT!). I keep my mouth SHUT--don't tell people that I'm not eating and when demanded to come out to lunch with friends I just say "it is not good to eat on an empty stomach!"

The fasting chapter from my friend's book, "Civilized Diseases and Their Circumvention," is helpful and encouraging, but there are other resources. I can send to You this chapter via email: anzaltopo@yahoo.com

You are perhaps young enough to avoid much permanent skeletal damage in the future, and it is important that You make the efforts now--pay it forward--so You will not inherit a body like mine is today--hunched over, trussed up with plenty of internal steel and titanium, and locked neck; no articulation. All due to years of the finest doctoring money could buy! And due to ignoring on my library shelf "A Doctor's Proven New Home Cure for Arthritis," by Giraud Campbell, D.O.

Now I know.

HEALTH,
John

AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story

Tacitus #211355 06/26/11 02:53 AM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
Thanks, Tacitus, this is very encouraging...to hear someone who's gone through a lot and to hear that I should do my due diligence to prevent the disease from getting worse. I was first diagnosed with AS when I was 17 when I had serious hip pains. I couldn't walk and it was too painful to move. Slowly but surely it got better (sloowly). I'm 20 now and I'm not on too much medication like before. I lost some weight and I'm more active. I want to clean up my diet though. I really want to stick to a low starch diet, and I realize that it will take hard work. I hope it will get easier...I'd very much like the fasting chapter from the book you mentioned. I will e-mail you and request it. I've done a one day water fast before and I couldn't get passed day 1...I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps I have a fast metabolism that makes it harder for me to fast? I don't know...

Last edited by PassTheBaton; 06/26/11 02:54 AM.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard