Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weird feeling of numbness on my face!!!
#216093 08/29/11 08:01 PM
A
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
I am very worried!! I have been feeling as if the right side of my face was going to become paralyzed. It has me worried so I made an appointment to see my doctor. Did anyone had this problem while having AS? I don't know what it is.. I looked it up online and their are many things that can cause it. I was hoping someone here in the forum has heard of this before. My face is not paralyzed but I feel as if its going to happen. It is a weird feeling. It feels like tingling and numbness and it also feels like tight on the side of the face. I don't know if its the AS or any other autoimmune disorder that causes this. I thank you all for taking your time to read this and help me to figure it out.

Thanks, smile

Alexis

Re: Weird feeling of numbness on my face!!!
alexis98 #216095 08/29/11 08:14 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
If I understand you one side of your face feels numb. In general that could be a trip to the urgent care or ER IMO.

Diagnosed AS 2001.Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
WhiteCell #216113 08/30/11 01:30 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
could it be Bell's palsy? it's pretty common
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_palsy

winelover #216115 08/30/11 02:34 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
AS would not cause this unless it was involved in some sort of nerve impingement. It's good that you are going to the doctor to get checked out. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
JenInCincy #216128 08/30/11 03:48 AM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
I would recommend having a friend or family member perform some basic stroke tests on you to be safe. Raise your arms in front of you with your eyes closed. Can you raise them to the same level, keeping your eyes closed? Do you smile normally? Repeat a simple phrase aloud like, "Don't cry over spilled milk" or "The sky is blue in Cincinnati." Do you slur your speech or otherwise sound unlike yourself?

I've also known several people who have developed Bell's Palsey, which has ultimately resolved.

It's likely nothing- I often have innocuous sensations of numbness- but because some of the causes of one-sided facial numbness can be serious, I would strongly suggest an ER or Urgent Care visit.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol
iviary #216132 08/30/11 05:02 AM
C
Cloclo
Unregistered
Cloclo
Unregistered
C
Multiple sclerosis can cause Facial Paresthesia.
Have you been to the dentist lately? Sometime, the trigeminal nerve can be irritated and cause that.
When is your appointment? Try to stay calm until then!

#216136 08/30/11 11:30 AM
A
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Thanks to everyone for replying!! I have an appointment today thanks to God. I will let you know what my doctor thinks. It doesn't feel like if it is a stroke. It is more like if their is something wrong with a nerve or something. I read that Bells Palsy can cause by an autoimmune disorder. Hopefully my doctor can treat this right away. Thanks so much for everything. I will keep you posted.

Alexis

alexis98 #216145 08/30/11 03:01 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
About 2 years ago I started having numbness and tingling in my face......cheeks mostly but at times would even cause the roof of my mouth to go numb....I still get it from time to time but it has not progressed....I was told it was a side effect to nerve damage
and AS

Good luck I hope you find answers

35 years old mother to four year old twins
Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis after 16 years of severe pain and stiffness.
(Diagnosed June 2011)
Gene marker HLA-B27 positive, several MRI and x-rays and blood work confirmed AS.. Enbrel twice a week <3
Diagnosed with Antiphospholipid syndrome in 2008

miranda12503 #216161 08/30/11 04:38 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Anytime someone has numbness, they should go to the ER to have it checked out. That can be the first sign of a stroke. You need to get there within a short time. The sooner you get there, the greater your chances are that it can be treated before too much permanent damage can occur. I had a friend who had numbness on one side of her face, she decided to put off going to the Dr. till the next day. When she woke up the next morning, she was paralyzed on one side of her body. She is now confined to a wheelchair.

Most of the time, the numbness is not a stroke, but why take a chance? It's just not worth the risk.

Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain
avonldy #216196 08/30/11 11:42 PM
C
Cloclo
Unregistered
Cloclo
Unregistered
C
Hi Alexis, are you okay? What did the doctor say?
Claudia

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard