Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sept issue of Yoga Journal
#238499 08/10/12 04:13 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I know I've been advocating for yoga as therapy for quite some time now, especially after seeing how it has "rescued" Ryan's soccer career, but I wanted to let everyone know there is a phenominal article on the piriformis muscle (in the pelvis) in the Sept issue. This article and series of poses go into great detail about the benefits of working the pelvis and SI joints to reduce stiffness and pain. Worth picking this up and making a copy for your PT (or download the single issue on your Nook)!
Kim

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Re: Sept issue of Yoga Journal
Soccerdocmom #238513 08/10/12 06:21 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Thanks for this info. I've been trying to figure out what to do to help my stiffness and pain. I used to do Pilates and it kept me moving for years, but something shifted a couple of years ago & Pilates is just too much for me at this time. I need something though because I just get more and more stiff with each passing month. Just last night I was thinking about yoga as an alternative... not just for my spondyloarthritis but for my anxiety as well. Kill two birds with one stone, as they say. I'm going to download issue and read the article! Thanks again.

Soccerdocmom #238517 08/10/12 07:07 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Thanks for the tip Soccerdocmom. Cece, the article I read on-line seemed pretty technical for someone unfamiliar to yoga poses. Yoga makes a huge difference. Going into a yoga class is not easy for me... but I feel sooooo much better coming out.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Soccerdocmom #238530 08/10/12 08:45 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Yoga is amazing!!!! Just make sure that you go to a studio with a REAL beginners class, or one that offers a class for people with medical issues (gentle yoga)

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground

I'm a 34 year old happily married mother of two crazy boys. I have AS. I take HRT's daily,Celebrex 2x's daily, tramadol every 6 hours, flexoril at night, failed Enbrel, currently on Methotrexate and Remicade infusions.
Soccerdocmom #238549 08/11/12 01:04 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
If you go to the Yoga Journal website, they have video of many of the poses, with modifications. Best way, if available, is call to several yoga studios and ask about teachers trained to modify for specific medical conditions. Alternately, you may find a physiatrist at a spine center or pain clinic well-versed in yoga (how I got started). If you can afford a couple of private sessions, even better, then continue to practice at home. I find large classes to be too much, as I use far fewer poses, and modify often.

Besides, if you doze off during corpse pose in a class, they tend to get a bit annoyed :-)

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Cece #238550 08/11/12 01:08 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Cece, learning to meditate has been, literally I think, a life-saver for me. Meditation usually goes hand in hand with yoga, but I still make time to meditate everyday, even when I don't practice yoga.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard