Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Maybe avoid carrageenan (in ice cream, etc.)
seekonk #243266 11/02/12 07:57 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Of course, going back to the original post about ice cream containing carrageenan - its worth noting that carrageenan is definitely NOT an essential ingredient of icecream. In fact really the only essential ingredient is actually real dairy cream. Carrageenan, chicken fat, and all sorts of other things can be added to poorer quality icecream to give it the "creaminess" that is desired. If you find a really good brand that uses a recipe that relies on cream, that uses all natural flavourings (vanilla, cocoa, real fruit etc), then ice cream is wonderful and you don't have to think about the nasties in it. Until recently New Zealand icecream used to be pretty reliable and amazing - legally it couldn't be called "ice cream" if the fat part of it wasn't 100% cream. Unfortunately in recent years they have bowed to industry pressure and now some brands will use other fats like chicken fat to boost it. In the UK both Orkney and Shetland (blue coo) "ice cream" is real, and 100% cream based too, as well as some of the organic ones you can get elsewhere - it just tastes so different from other stuff.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
seekonk #243273 11/02/12 08:21 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
That is a good point. We routinely buy Breyer's because the list of ingredients is very short and readable by a young child smile The cheaper the ice cream gets, the longer and more unpronouncable the ingredient list ... like everything, quality costs.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
seekonk #243282 11/02/12 09:07 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
My two cents: Haagen-Dazs. Vanilla flavor ingredients: cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract. Really creamy. Breyers is good, too. Just don't get Dreyer's. Not the same.

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.
seekonk #243286 11/02/12 10:23 PM
E
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
Thanks for the info, I had no idea the stuff was in ice cream, even by favorite brand, and pudding mix. I knew it was in protein drinks, Slim-fast, etc.

My husband is not supposed to have it because he is on blood thinners, so I will need to read every label.

cemc #243310 11/03/12 04:54 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Originally Posted By: cemc
........ chicken fat, and all sorts of other things can be added to poorer quality icecream to give it the "creaminess" that is desired.......

an American friend once told me she thought they used hog fat in icecream too sick

http://www.pureicecream.co.nz/
http://www.gourmeticecream.co.nz/4.htm

.....and I'd stay right away from serve icecream, you know what that's made of, or do you??????
http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/01/29/how-soft-serve-ice-cream-is-made/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard