Awoken by horrible lower back pain
#243328 11/03/12 12:32 PM
M
Momof8 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
How do you relieve the pain so you can go back to sleep?

It's killing me!! frown

Re: Awoken by horrible lower back pain
Momof8 #243329 11/03/12 12:51 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Hi Momof8 I wake up every morning with this terrible pain and I usually can't go back to sleep but if I really need to do so I do several things, one is to use a heating pad or a rice sock depending on where the pain is located. As you said yours is in your back I think a heating pad would help. If you don't have a heating pad maybe a hot shower or bath would help. The only other thing is to walk a bit and stretch to get some of the pain away.

Try taking NSAIDS if you can. I cannot take them so that isn't an option for me but most others can and do.

HLA-B27+ Dx'ed AS 1999
Momof8 #243335 11/03/12 05:28 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Get up, move around, gentle stretches, heat pad.

Some folk use muscle relaxants at night to help sleep, but I find that only helps me get off to sleep, not with the waking in pain.

It is a sign that there is probably active inflammation going on though, so working with your rheumy to deal more effectively with controlling inflammation is going to be your best bet.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
Momof8 #243336 11/03/12 05:32 PM
V
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
V
For about 20 years before I was diagnosed I would just get up, stretch for a while and then stand for at least 15 minutes. (For some reason the standing made a big difference.) I'm on flexeril and oxycontin now so that takes most of the pain, and I take break through meds as needed, but I find stretching before bed each night makes a big difference (i.e. with stretches a PT taught me).

James; AS Dx 2007 with fused SI and lumbar, but had symptoms 20 years before that; HLA-B27+; Scoliosis; Sleep apnea; Osteoporosis; Eales disease in one retina (very rare, possibly related)
Momof8 #243338 11/03/12 05:39 PM
M
Momof8 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
My doctor says it's because of my weight but I have undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis.

I have bouts of achilles tendonitis, my inner elbow hurts and is tender to the tough, I wake up stiff, I wake up with horrible back pain that I can not get rid of, it's also tender to the touch. MY fingers swell and hurt and are stiff. my hips and lower back are stiff after inactivity. None of my blood work points to anything. My RA factor and crp are boarder line high.

I'm just so sick of being in pain. I take 600 mg of NSAIDS but that is starting to become less effective.

Momof8 #243348 11/03/12 09:23 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Are you seeing a rheumatologist or a general practitioner? There are other meds to try, tests to run; for example, have you had any x-rays or MRIs of spine, SI joints etc? If not, I would start with a referral to a rheumy. Good luck and let us know more when you can!

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Momof8 #243355 11/03/12 11:56 PM
M
Momof8 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I go to a rheumy. When I told him about the back problems I have had since I was 19 he just gave me a list of exercises to help with back pain! He also said there is no way I can have AS because I can bend over and touch my toes.

I've gone to another rheumy a few years ago who did a basic bone scan that showed mild uptake in my SI joints and med. uptake in my ankles and mid feet.

I have had xrays of my back that showed degeneration in the lumbar region and bone spurs.

I hate this! Thanks for all your help!!!! I go back to the rheumy in Dec.

Momof8 #243360 11/04/12 12:53 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Sounds like you need to go back to that first rheumie, or find a new one completely. Also finding someone who will order a SI MRI (with STIR sequences to properly show any inflammation).

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
Momof8 #243394 11/04/12 09:00 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I also have uspa. Ans inflammatory arthritis, I know all about the swelling in the hands, my face also swells. My rhumey put me on enbrel and its finally helping. A day or 2 before my shot is due the swelling comes back and its horrible!! Good luck, and keep on trying. My crp and sed rate is very high but came down some after 2 months on enbrel

Jamie, 29, mother of a wild 3 year old, wife of super supportive college student husband, dx with fibro, IA, spondoloarthropalthy, depression, anxiety. HLA-B27 positive. First sign of IA spondo in 1999, first fibro attack/flare up in 2010. taking sulfasalzine, enbrel, neurontin, hydrocodone, buspirone, celexa, zanaflex, xanax. Wanting my body back!
Momof8 #243407 11/05/12 06:24 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I could bend & touch the floor when I was diagnosed, but it's likely that I have a mild connective tissue disorder, which makes some of my joints hyperextend. Since then, my back's gotten worse, but I can still touch my ankles. However, my hips are so stiff & painful I have a very difficult time bending to put on my shoes & socks & can't sit "Indian style" or "criss-cross" as my kids were taught in school.

I hope you can find a better rheumy who will take this seriously.

-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard