Don't give up!
#248768 02/20/13 01:14 AM
D
Dbersh Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
Been a while since I posted, but wanted to offer encouragement to everyone going through the SSD process. After being denied with initial filing back late last summer, requested a hearing and found out today they approved me based on a case review.
I understand it is bad enough dealing with this monster of a disease, and add to it the frustration of compiling records, phone calls, letters, don't give up hope!

Re: Don't give up!
Dbersh #248780 02/20/13 01:16 PM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
This is exactly what happened to me. Just found out I was approved last week

Kim - age 33, married with 3 children
DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, HLA B27+
Meds: Otezla, Naproxen PRN, Prednisone PRN
Dbersh #249131 02/27/13 03:19 PM
R
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Registered Visitor
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Registered Visitor
R
Hi, Dbersch and KimD592. Thank you for your posts. Yes, I do wish to emphasize what you are saying - don't give up. There is an appeal process in these cases. There is the initial level of review, then reconsideration, then a hearing with an administrative law judge (ALJ), then the Appeals Council of the Social Security Administration. If one is denied by the Appeals Council, then one can file a complaint in federal district court to appeal the Social Security's decision. After the federal district court is the U.S. Court of Appeals. So you can see that there are many levels of appeal here that are available in case one's claim is denied. This is one reason why one should not give up if one is truly disabled.

Of course, one hopes that one does not have to go through all these levels of appeal, as demonstrated by Dbersch's and KimD592's experiences.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.
Dbersh #249330 03/04/13 03:27 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I will be getting laid off next month and my Rheumy feels strongly that I consider applying for SSD. I know that one is not eligible for Medicare for 2 years so I would be most appreciative if anyone would mind sharing what if any options are out there regarding health insurance. I don't yet know how much Cobra will be for me but I know it's expensive. Thanks very much .

Sue

S. Elizabeth

Dx AS in 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds.
Humira wkly, Mtx inject wkly, Soma, Hydrocodone. Tried Remicade, allergic reactions so back to Humira

Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard