Print Thread
Remicade & Oral Thrush
#250191 03/28/13 04:29 AM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
After just the 2nd of 3 starter doses of Remicade I ended up with oral thrush. Rheumy gave me a rx for Nystatin but it did not help. Before I ask her for something else does anyone have any " home remedies" that worked? Thanks guys.

S. Elizabeth

Dx AS in 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds.
Humira wkly, Mtx inject wkly, Soma, Hydrocodone. Tried Remicade, allergic reactions so back to Humira

Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.
Re: Remicade & Oral Thrush
smittygirl50 #250195 03/28/13 12:35 PM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
You might want to try "magic mouthwash". It's half liquid antacid such as malox or gaviscon and half liquid benedryl. Mix it in a small cup, swish and spit. It kind of numbs the area temporarily & the benedryl reduces inflamation. I use it for canker sores from MTX or for a sore throat. If you can get the prescription version - even better as it contains lidocaine. It may make you feel better until the nystatin kicks in.

Dx: Spondyloarthropathy/Connective Tissue Disorder (2/12), AS (9/12) HLA B27 negative, sacroilitis on x-ray - Current Meds: Methotrexate (20 mg), Leucovorin (30 mg), Protonix, Relafen, Vicodin and Tramadol PRN, Enbrel (9/12) Humira (7/15)
smittygirl50 #250197 03/28/13 02:05 PM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Thanks Bella, I've actually had the magic mouthwash and it didn't help. Just curious if anyone else on Remicade ended up with thrush, I know it can be really hard to get rid of. I've read that Diflucan has helped some people so I will try that next. Thanks for your help Bella, I appreciate it!

S. Elizabeth

Dx AS in 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds.
Humira wkly, Mtx inject wkly, Soma, Hydrocodone. Tried Remicade, allergic reactions so back to Humira

Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.
smittygirl50 #250201 03/28/13 03:35 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I vote for the Diflucan.

In my experience with thrush when nursing my son, the topical nystatin didn't help at all. Fortunately he had no discomfort from his oral thrush but the infection on my nipples felt like being stabbed with an ice pick when he nursed. I needed Diflucan to achieve systemic effectiveness. My gyn was initially reluctant to write for it since it can go into breastmilk but as it happens, the amount transmitted through breastmilk was also the perfect dose for my breastfeeding babe! We finally kicked the thrush but it took several months of farting around with home remedies and ineffective swab-on topicals.

But you asked for home remedies. Vinegar is one, non toxic and supposedly kills candida. I don't know how long you would have to hold it in your mouth to get it to work. I used it both topically on myself and in the laundry to try to kill the spores on my clothes but it didn't work.

Another is gentian violet - google if you haven't heard of it. Because it stains everything it touches a beautiful purple and can be dangerous if large doses are ingested, it is usually kept behind the counter at pharmacies - but they will give it if you ask. Doesn't require a prescription. Didn't work for me either but it sure was funny to see a purple ring around my son's mouth and purple stains on all my bras <not>

Good luck!!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard