Print Thread
new migraine preventive - melatonin?!
#250284 03/29/13 08:59 PM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
I know I'm not the only one here with migraines ... very interesting study on a product that's already available OTC, cheap, and low risk!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781465

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Re: new migraine preventive - melatonin?!
JenInCincy #256551 08/15/13 06:13 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I know the uses of Melatonin sound great, it's been used as a sleep aid. Here it comes...
However, I was advised by my Rheumatologist that it will make Fibromyalgia worse! Considering that those w/ Fibro have insomnia, & difficulty reaching the REM state, it's a real bummer
For headaches/migraines there is Wood Betony tea or powder that you can put in capsules. I've been using this for years. *Limit usage to no more than twice weekly.
Otter Trout is an herb shop that I met at a Natl. Indian Pow-Wow. The owner, Kimberly, is a schooled, certified herbalist. she will help advise you on what herbs will work for what problems.

Married to a wonderful man 23yrs, w/ a terrific son diagnosed with AS.

Acquired AS 28yrs ago. Severe Fibromyalgia, Migraines, Multiple system involvement: heart, remaining kidney (no nsaid's allowed), spine (+ spinal stenosis), neck, knees (Rcd total Rht knee replacement 7/13, Lft scheduled for 9/13), thyroid, etc... Medically retired from US Military.
Now recently diagnosed w/ Primary Hypogammaglobulemia to boot!
Re: new migraine preventive - melatonin?!
Gidget101 #256590 08/16/13 12:56 PM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Originally Posted By: Gidget101
I know the uses of Melatonin sound great, it's been used as a sleep aid. Here it comes...
However, I was advised by my Rheumatologist that it will make Fibromyalgia worse!

I've never heard that. You may want to do some research to validate whether that is a fact based comment or just your rheumy's observation and not necessarily accurate.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard