Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ry playing in college!
#251413 04/28/13 08:13 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
If you had asked me 2 years ago if this day would come, I could not have given you an answer. But I am so tickled to share that Ry is going on to play in college :-) In full disclosure, his dad is coaching, but he won't be the first kid to play for their parent in college and beyond). Forgive the brag...I'm just so proud of the kid after all the crap that's been going on with his high school team (he resigned...conflict of ethics...let's leave it at that, as there are still some kids on the team we respect).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/coll...c0d5c54e5b.html

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Re: Ry playing in college!
Soccerdocmom #251498 04/29/13 09:23 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
That's fantastic! Best of luck to him smile

@SeeSpondyRun
Soccerdocmom #253409 06/06/13 05:13 PM
E
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
Good for him!!! It is pretty exciting to know that these kids can participate in a very physical sport while dealing with AS. My son will also play in college next year. While my kids have not played AYSO for years, my husband refs AYSO games. He happened to hear about a family with a 10-year old who was just diagnosed with a form of spondy, and who was going to quit soccer as a result. They were shocked to hear that our son continued to play after being diagnosed. My son ended up getting together with him and relating his experiences with sports and AS to the boy and his parents. As a result, they have decided to stick it out for now. I truly believe that while some of my son's sports can be hard on the joints at times, in general, his high level of activity is what has kept him so flexible.I hope these kids can be a voice for AS and sports to the younger kids coming up behind them.

Congratulations to your son and best wishes for next year!

Soccerdocmom #253880 06/16/13 01:34 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
That is excellent about your son serving as "mentor" to the other lad! You really just never know how it's going to pan out, especially once they hit puberty. My daughter's really kicked into overdrive when she hit her early teens; my older son's appeared to go into remission at his early teens and is now (early 20s) starting to rear its ugly head again. Ry's has been more constant, although he is far more flexible than either of the other two. Go figure :-)

As for being a face of AS, Ry has mixed emotions about it. He was initially honored to be a part of the exercise slideshow put out here, then he got concerned. However, it wasn't until he left the high school team that he gave the coach a "rocket" for various things, that he found out the coach never knew he had this condition, in spite of it being on all his physicals! Great job coach (insert smarmy smirk here). He had been concerned that the coach wasn't playing him because of his condition. Turns out that wasn't the case at all. Ry's a sensitive kid...I can see him advocating in the future for this. I do get why athletes hesitate to say anything that could jeopardize their potential future in a sport though. Tricky situation.

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard