Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oh for crying out loud....
#251923 05/09/13 01:42 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
So, in a game, on Sunday, the kid was on the receiving end of a clumsy slide tackle. After flipping forever at the new ortho, the verdict is no break, but 2 torn ligaments in the ankle. For an athlete, that's worse than a clean break. For an athlete with USpA, this really stinks, as enthesitis is his main problem. So he's in an air cast for 6 weeks to start with intensive physical therapy.

Did I mention he just signed a letter of intent to play soccer in college? Did I mention he graduates in 3 weeks (dreading those stairs, walking at the ceremony)? DID I MENTION IT'S HIS 18TH BIRTHDAY TODAY????!!!

Ry's friend: "So what did you get for your birthday Ry?"

Ry: "A new air cast, another week or two on crutches, unlimited physical therapy, and the ability to sign my own paperwork at the ortho's."

Sigh......

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Re: Oh for crying out loud....
Soccerdocmom #251939 05/09/13 12:53 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I feel you, and I feel like I could almost be the author of the comments.

My daughter crossed the stage in a boot after a stress fracture in her foot during a tennis tournament Memorial Day weekend of her senior year. Stress fractures in feet of tennis players can be career ending. Her ortho did let her put flats for her formal, but the boot went straight back on for the after parties, and she was unable to drive for the entire summer before college.

Luckily for us, the big season for tennis is spring, although there is an abbreviated fall. Don't rush to get back. We tried that, and our experience wasn't so hot. Remember college is a long process.

Good Luck!

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.
Soccerdocmom #251940 05/09/13 01:38 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Oh, how discouraging ... I'm sorry!! Hopefully if he follows doc's advice he will heal well and be able to spend some of the summer getting back to his prior level of play so that he can play in college as planned...

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Soccerdocmom #251983 05/10/13 12:29 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Thanks TA and Jen, right now he's stomping around the house doing Frankenstein impressions....

Kim: finishing the PhD SOMETIME in 2013! Dx'd with Undifferentiated Spondyloropathy (officially!) in October 2010 and gastroperesis in August 2011, now adding Sjorgren's and VERTIGO to the mix. Mom to 1 daughter with AS (on FULL disability), and 2 sons with UDiff (1 a graphic designer-freelance and 1 an elite level soccer player). Taking Enbrel (Oct. 2012) and Sulfasalezine (spring? 2011)
Soccerdocmom #252000 05/10/13 05:14 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
I am sorry to hear about his injury. I hope he heals quickly.

I do have to say though; it is great that he is keeping his sense of humor!

Originally Posted By: Soccerdocmom
Ry's friend: "So what did you get for your birthday Ry?"

Ry: "A new air cast, another week or two on crutches, unlimited physical therapy, and the ability to sign my own paperwork at the ortho's."

Sigh......

Priceless!

Last edited by NotMeToo; 05/10/13 05:14 AM. Reason: typo

Not Me Too!
Soccerdocmom #252009 05/10/13 01:17 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Originally Posted By: Soccerdocmom
Thanks TA and Jen, right now he's stomping around the house doing Frankenstein impressions....

Sounds like he will be OK smile How great he has such a good outlook!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Soccerdocmom #253320 06/04/13 12:28 AM
E
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
I am SO sympathetic soccerdocmom!!! My son is 17 and will also play college soccer next year (D2). I can't even imagine if an injury sidelined him at this point. He is ALWAYS outside kicking a ball around, even after 2 hour practices. He flips out if he can't play soccer. We are worried a bit because he has started having hip pain-enough that he has come out of several games recently. Just finished hip xrays and waiting for results. He just did a tournament with his future college and is so excited about starting practices. I am crossing my fingers that we can get the pain under control quickly. We have been lucky so far in that his AS has not dissipated with age, but has been almost totally controlled with weekly anti-TNF injections.

I am sending good thoughts your sons way and hope that he is quick to heal! Keep us posted!-Jennifer

Ericsmom #253879 06/16/13 01:11 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Congrats Jennifer! I find I'm holding my breath every time I see him go in for a hard tackle or get taken down. 99% of the time, he bounces right up....it's that other 1% that gives me great anxiety. Before he was diagnosed, I'd just have "normal" anxiety"; now I do the worrying for both of us. Really have to remember to meditate during games this coming year :-)

Soccerdocmom #255674 07/29/13 11:13 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
It is so hard to watch our kids hurt. I am sure all the moms out there would shoulder this pain for them if we could. All this is just so painful and disappointmenting. My daughter just graduated too. One month later after three plus years of pain she finally gets a diagnosis. This is such a tender time in these kids lives.

I hope your son is up and running son. Sounds like a great kid. These kids suffer so much and keep such a great attitude. I really look up to them.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard