Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How long until relief when on Prednisone?
#254876 07/05/13 10:27 PM
M
MizQue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I just started 5mg Predinsone 2 times a day yesterday morning. This is the first time I have been on prednisone for inflammation (I had it many years ago for food allergy reactions). Is this a low dose? How long can I expect until I get relief? I am specifically wanting relief for my left foot which has remained swollen and red at the posterior tibial tendon for almost 6 weeks despite a walking boot, physical therapy, and Naproxen. I was hoping for instant relief, but I know this is unreasonable!

Psoriatic arthritis dx 7/2013, minus the psoriasis. SI joint, hip, knee, elbow, and foot pain since 2006. HLA B27 positive, mom has AS. Currently on Predinsone and will start drug trials in September.
Re: How long until relief when on Prednisone?
MizQue #254878 07/05/13 11:30 PM
A
AMS Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
10 mg isn't a very high dose, if I recall correctly. I hardly ever get anything out of oral prednisone; depo-medrol IM works way better for me. I usually feel relief after a day or so.

Amy
28 y/o HLA-B27 neg
Dx: AS/SpA, cardiac arrythmia, Hashimoto's
Currently taking: remicade, flexeril or nucynta ER occasionally
MizQue #254879 07/06/13 12:53 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
It is a low dose, it could take a couple days. If your one foot is still really bad, I would see a foot dr. One time I had a broken foot but with all the ankle problems disguised it.

Sorry you are suffering.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
MizQue #254892 07/06/13 04:40 PM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
It should kick in soon. My body is funky with meds and one med with a low dose will not affect me at ALL & then another med will work like a charm on a low dose.

I am lucky that Pred works for me at a low dose, so on 10 mg I see a difference right away.

Now if all my meds worked that great!!!

MizQue #254893 07/06/13 06:54 PM
M
MizQue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
So far, I am still hurting. I am actually hurting more than I was last week because I had to stop taking the Naproxen to start the Prednisone. The Naproxen gave me quite a bit of relief, but not enough and I had to stop taking it anyway because my blood pressure was sky high on it.

Banana, the podiatrist is the doctor taking care of my foot. It's definitely not broken as I have had several x-rays and 2 MRI's. I wish it was broken because it would be healed by now!

Psoriatic arthritis dx 7/2013, minus the psoriasis. SI joint, hip, knee, elbow, and foot pain since 2006. HLA B27 positive, mom has AS. Currently on Predinsone and will start drug trials in September.
MizQue #254896 07/06/13 10:04 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
It helps me in a day or two, but is very dose dependent. 40mg helps heaps and 20mg takes the edge off enough to make things bearable, but I don't think 10mg would do much for me at all.

I've also had problems with some nsaids pushing up my blood pressure, so I sympathise. I think prednisone can do that too, but it doesn't seem to in my case.

Have you tried voltaren gel in addition to the prednisone? It can help quite a bit, especially if you apply it regularly to the inflamed part, and has fewer side effects as most of it stays in the tissues where needed rather than in the blood stream.

Shirley
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler and eating low starch/low GI.
MizQue #254907 07/07/13 06:16 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I've done steroids about a dozen times, and have found that for me, anything below 20 mg/day is worthless. When I take the 6-7 day dose kits, I get positive results on the first 3 days. However, at doses that actually seem to help, I get insomnia, which is why I'm still up tonight. I started a 6 day pack of methylprednisolone today.

Dx w/ AS in 1985. HLA-B27+. Left total hip replacement in 1998, lost 2" of height due to osteoporosis. Relevant meds include Remicade, Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma.7 hour spine fusion surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy but have residual myelopathy. I have generalized osteoarthritis and have worn out hips, knees, big toes, and some fingers are fused or growing bones. Disabled since 2015. Chronic pain patient on a high dose of opioids. Live in zero gravity chair.
MizQue #255760 08/02/13 03:25 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Also, taking it all at once early in the morning is more like your natural pattern of cortisol production. If I take a Medrol pack exactly as it's packaged, throughout the day, I might as well be expecting M&Ms to help. But if I take the day's pills all at once in the morning, it actually helps some. (Discovered this by not following the instructions and confessed to the rheumy the difference. He said it was fine and just do it that way each time.) It pretty much takes 30mg of prednisone to put me in a good place....like for a special trip. Medrol pack will break a flare, though. 10mg is more what I'd take two days before I tapered off completely. Then 5mg, then off.

Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis HLAB27+
MTX, gabapentin, strontium citrate
Cosentyx from Oct to Dec 2017. Then back to Cimzia in May 2018.
Already tried Remicade, Enbrel, Simponi, Humira, Cimzia, Cosentyx.
MizQue #255769 08/02/13 05:05 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Personally steroids never did a thing for me except *ahem* plump me up. It's a bummer because for most people it's a miracle drug. Even when I've had injections into my knees/hip, I've only felt relief for two weeks tops, while others often get relief for months.

I hope for your sake you're not like me and see results quickly and minimal water retention. Good luck!

Rachel
ANA+, HLA-B27+, started Remicade June 2008, switched to Enbrel September 2010, switched to Humira April 2011, stopped biologics September 2011. Fusion already started, 25 years old.
MizQue #255794 08/02/13 02:21 PM
M
MizQue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
To update, I ended up increasing the dose to 10mg twice a day (per doctor request) since the 5mg wasn't doing much. Luckily, it worked and I have been feeling GREAT! My doctor wanted to confirm my pain was inflammatory before going with the psoriatic arthritis diagnosis.

I am still in that darn boot and having trouble weaning out of it. I start my 6 week pred taper tomorrow, so I don't expect to feel great much longer. But, at least I have had 3.5 weeks of feeling well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard