Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Exertion / exercise induced flare ups
#255451 07/23/13 11:29 AM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Is it just me, or does exertion cause others flare ups too? How will I ever lose the weight I've gained (due to inactivity due to joint and back problems) if I can't exercise!?

Saturday I went for a 3 hour hike and Sunday I built a garden box. Monday and today (tues), I have a lot of joint swelling in my feet and my back is hurting and I am FATIGUED! (Like I can't stay awake and am in a brain fog).

I know this weekend was an extreme case - but this happens to me for a day or two after normal exercise too.

It's very discouraging! It makes me not want to exercise because I feel so bad for several days afterwards.

Is it just me???

Sparkly, 39
---------------
HLA-B27+, chronic low-back pain x10yrs, R foot dactylitis, L foot plantar fasciitis, hx of uveitis right eye, IBD x 7 years.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosed 10/2013.
Treating with Celebrex, Plaquenil and LDN.
Re: Exertion / exercise induced flare ups
sparklyholiday #255452 07/23/13 11:38 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Yes, I'm the same - the slightest exertion either has me really fatigued, or feeling like I've done more tendon damage (or at least an enthesitis flare). I've put on over 15 pounds in the last year because I haven't been able to do any regular exercise. I still do stretches, but anything potentially weight reducing is out. I should be able to lose weight on what I currently eat, but obviously my level of activity is below "normal" still so I can't.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
sparklyholiday #255453 07/23/13 12:43 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I was only diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis a few weeks ago, but it has taken me YEARS to figure out what kind of exercise I am able to do without causing a flare. It ends up that I can only ride a recumbent (never an upright) bike and some light weights. Even the Pilates I started in April has caused me a few problems. I have noticed, though, that if I start very slow, and make modifications, I can usually build up (this is not always true, though).

When I first started the stationary bike, I started with 10 minutes. Now, 8 years later, I am able to ride for 50 minutes. Anytime I am in a flare, I have to reduce my riding time and then build back up when I am better. It's a constant tweaking on how long I can ride. Since the Pilates has caused some major foot problems, I am going to skip all foot exercises. Since many pilates exercises includes twisting, I also have to skip that due to my SI joint pain.

As far as yard work, I have a hard time doing only a little at a time and usually end up in pain afterwards.

Miz Que

Psoriatic arthritis dx 7/2013, minus the psoriasis. SI joint, hip, knee, elbow, and foot pain since 2006. HLA B27 positive, mom has AS. Currently on Predinsone and will start drug trials in September.
sparklyholiday #255457 07/23/13 01:47 PM
O
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
O
The best thing that I have learned in all these years of AS is how to pace myself. Not that I don't occasionally over do things still, but I choose very carefully what is worth it. Although I keep active, I have been reluctant to exercise most of my adult life since it seems to cause more pain. I now realize the importance of doing at least stretching exercises. You will find that there are things you can do and things that you can't. Anything that has me using my arms out in front of me for any amount of time will cause tremendous pain and muscle spasms around my middle. Bending in a certain way will cause more pain for me. There are things that I can do without much pain. Listen to your body and you will discover what works for you.

Age 61. AS dx'd at age 57
HLA-B27+,iritis/uveitis periodically since 1970, diabetic
Meds. naproxen and muscle relaxer(as needed)
sparklyholiday #255459 07/23/13 01:57 PM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
i am same way.i try so many things and every time, no matter how careful i am, i get joints inflammation, after i start swimming, i have to do elbow surgery. my reumy did,t believe me, but i try so many times.

AS since 2000,diagnosed in 2008.low back ,both elbows surgeries. IBS,Eosinophilic esophagitis. I am on Remicade, Methotrexate. B 27 Positive
sparklyholiday #255464 07/23/13 02:18 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Well, you're right, being a "weekend warrior" will leave most people hurting for a couple of days!

I don't have this problem - in general, exercise feels good at the time and I don't get rebound pain other than predictable musculoskeletal aches after excessive tasks like stacking firewood for several hours :p Try to back off and take it SLOW to let your body get used to it!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
sparklyholiday #255466 07/23/13 03:15 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Of course you cause inflammation from exercise. That pain comes from facia pulling on the myofibrils and/or repetitive motion of joints. It gets better. Low impact repetitive exercise is what gets it better, along with adequest stretching of the facia before ANT exercise. It often needs to be targeted. Several of my kids were/are professional athletes. They still use trainers to help them target their exercise. You think they aren't in pain - often? its a challenge with disease but the processes are identical The more gain the less pain. Not all "flares" are disease.

If you are taking NSAIDS you will often get more pain from exercise as well. We are not immune to normal processes. It takes less than week of no exercise to go backwards and longer than that to get back, Sometimes you can lose in days. We are also subject to aging including the aches pains and yes "grandmas arthritis" We tend to paint all of it with a disease brush.

If you can not eliminate those things as a reason for the "flare" one need s to take a LOOOOOONG look at their treatment plan and all the aspects of it. Something is wrong.

Also use of pain meds have an effect on body chemistry increasing the likelihood of such pain.

Last edited by tntlamb; 07/23/13 03:38 PM.
sparklyholiday #255467 07/23/13 03:16 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Personally, I think you need more treatment. If you are properly treated, minor "stresses" be it the weather, over exercise, etc will not cause such an extreme reaction.

Yes, I drove 900 miles in one day and could barely walk the next day. But that is 900 miles, if I drive 200 no problem. Yes, when I wasn't treated--those 200 miles would kill me.

You should not have that much swelling over a day or two of exercise, weekend or not. Swelling can stretch tendons cause real damage, so I think you need more treatment.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Banana #255471 07/23/13 03:36 PM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
Originally Posted By: Banana
You should not have that much swelling over a day or two of exercise, weekend or not. Swelling can stretch tendons cause real damage, so I think you need more treatment.

well if this is the case, i need more. im always worn out after my workday.....and Sunday i went and played disc golf for 2 hours (slow walking, not very powerful flings) and yesterday and today im DYING.

what other treatment would i look into? i'm already on remicade, and while its not making me better its making life bearable (somewhat). i couldnt work/drive on narcs, and phys therapy/massage make my fibro act up.

Originally Posted By: sparklyholiday
It's very discouraging! It makes me not want to exercise because I feel so bad for several days afterwards.

i hear ya - i work 40 hours a week so when i made these plans on Sunday and played, it was nice knowing i was getting SOME exercise other than running around like a crazy person. now i just feel so bad.....hopefully you figure it out! everyone here has good ideas and advice. good luck ;0)

Female, 29 - loving wife & mommy to one <3
Finally diagnosed in Oct 2011
HLAB27+
Remicade - Oct 2012
Fibromyalgia - June 2013
Tendonitis - February 2014
Humira: Failed / NSAIDS: Failed / Steroid Epidurals: Failed, caused more pain / Physical Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Chiropractics: Failed / gabapentin: Failed
babygirl536 #255477 07/23/13 04:51 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
babygirl, i see on your signature "failed" by your previous meds, and begs to ask the question that I see frequently here - what does that actually mean? Failed how? didn't work, side effects, or worse? I have been on Enbrel for a year along with various other meds and have a appt today with the pain mgmt doctor. I want to ask the her the same question that I just dont feel anything is working. Is that a fail, or do I suggest going up to a Humira or Remicade, or ask for a stronger pain med - probably asking the obvious, but wanted your opinion or others.

57 year old happily married for 36 years. two kids and 4 grandkids. Diagnosed with AS April 2012, but negative markers. Failed Enbrel and switching to Humira, now injected weekly, 7.5/500 hydrocodone, clonazepam for sleep, Cymbalta 60 mg, voltarin gel, and occasional epidural steroid injections in lumbar and thoracic region to deal with back pain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard