Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sleeping positions or tips for more comfort
Lotus1984 #259062 10/06/13 12:34 AM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
Flexeril is what I am on for a muscle relaxer. I've found that you build up a tolerance after a while. I can now take 2 10mg pills and still be functional, whereas some people can take only 1 and it'll knock them out for 15 hrs.

As for Tramadol, I've been on that for almost a year now and have only had a period of a week without it. I was just lazy and hadn't made it to the pharmacy for a week. I didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I started off only taking one a day and now take 4 per day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It helps me enormously.

22 years old. Female. Diagnosed with AS in June of 2013 but experienced symptoms for two years prior. Fused SI joints, fused L5-S1. Love and own 4 horses who keep me walking and riding around despite the pain. Married to a wonderful man, and struggling to deal with this chronic illness while being a newlywed and starting my first desk job.
Lotus1984 #259081 10/06/13 12:04 PM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
For some reason my rheumy seemed to think that I would be better off with tramadol than with codeine (Vicodin) regarding dependency issues. I took codeine for two months last spring, almost every day, and had a week of withdrawal after stopping. Not nice but endurable. Now I've been taking tramadol for six weeks, trying to have as many days off as possible. I haven't experienced dependency so far (not saying it won't come, I just don't know yet).

Lotus1984 #259088 10/06/13 01:23 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I've taken Tramadol on and off for four years. I've never had withdrawal or dependency issues with this drug. It's been really helpful and an essential part of my arsenal.

I guess we are all different.

41 y/o female, diagnosed RA 2009, sacroiliitis, peripheral arthritis, most major joints involved, HLA-B27- but suspect AS or spondylitis, Raynaud's, GERD, currently taking Orencia sub-Q, Mtx via injection, citalopram, omeprazole, tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine.

2012 - diagnosed with colitis and iritis and seronegative arthritis.

Failed - Enbrel (stopped working after 10 months), Humira (no effect) and Remicade (failed after two years).
Lotus1984 #259112 10/07/13 02:26 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Yes, we are different and there is unfortunately little known on how to determinke vulnerability of dependence. My 23andme gives a little clue in suggesting that I have increased risk of heroin addiction if exposed to it (not that I would ever touch the stuff, but Tramadol is also an opioid). OTOH, I am completely immune to the charms of alcohol, I love red wine at first but it starts to taste really spit-it-out awful after the first glass, and that unfortunately has made me a rather boring party guest all my life. smile God divides.

I don't want my experience to scare off people from pain therspies that can improve their quality of life. I am not abusing the Tramadol given that I take only 2-3 pills a day (I am allowed up to 8), so I am clearly not behaving like an addict. It also works really well for my pain, much better than Vicodin did. I just cannot use it "as needed", since the days I don't need it for pain I would be miserable with withdrawal. I really would like another effective option that can be used as needed, but ai just haven't found it.

Last edited by seekonk; 10/07/13 02:32 AM.

Spondylitis since '08, finally diagnosed Feb '11.
Enbrel 50mg/week.
Lotus1984 #259586 10/18/13 04:11 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I'm a little tardy, but I wanted to respond to this sleep thread. I just started flexeril and it's helping tremendously. As far as sleep positions, I'm a side sleeper and a pillow juggler. One pillow between the knees, one under the head, one or two to support the shoulder. I'm up once or twice during the night for the geriatric style restroom shuffle, and then I have to repack myself in with the pillows. Same routine every time I turn over. One great thing I just found at Sam's Club last month is a firm memory foam wedge pillow with rounded edges by Brookstone. It's perfect "anti-canoe " support for the shoulder (keeps my shoulder from sagging and pulling on my neck and keeps my shoulders from folding me like a canoe). I wish I had bought several of those pillows! They were sold out when I went back, but you may be able to purchase it online from Sam's or somewhere else. I use the narrow pointed edge at my shoulder with the wide edge at the bottom and I add another small pillow beside it so my entire arm is just lying there parallel with the mattress, at shoulder height. This totally takes the stress off of the neck if the elbow and hand are all at shoulder level. I hope this helps someone. It really helps me, although it's a pain to manage all the pillows when turning, but that's just part of the program unless you have a duplicate set up on both sides so you don't have to move the pillows. That's what I'll do if I find THE pillow again. Otherwise I'll keep juggling...it's that good. I take it everywhere with me. It also works well for lots of other positions.

Barbara - 51 year old female, married, one adult child (28 yr old)
HLA B27+, symptoms since late 20's, explosion of symptoms age 38, dx age 49 (2012) undifferentiated, now changed to PsA (axial & peripheral with mild psoriasis)
Started MTX October 2012, started Enbrel April 2013, switched to Simponi August 2013. Switched to Humira 2014.
Surgical spinal cord decompression/discectomy/fusion C4 to C7 (ACDF)- Aug 2011.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard