Dentist appointment
#259497 10/16/13 01:17 PM
S
SuzyQ Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Dreading going to the dentist this afternoon. My neck has been so sore lately. In fact, it feels like my entire head hurts. I almost find this pain worse than my back as I find it makes me very nauseous. Just going for a cleaning so hopefully it isn't too bad. Any tips on how to make this experience less painful?

Re: Dentist appointment
SuzyQ #259501 10/16/13 02:52 PM
S
sequoia
Unregistered
sequoia
Unregistered
S
hi suzy. be sure to tell your dentist about your AS if you haven't already. my dental hygiene lady, was very aware and i sat in the chair a laid back just as far as i could stand, then she would elevate parts of me, if i needed it, to release the stress from the position. sometimes she used a cloth, or whatever i needed. i still ended up with spasms, but it could have been worse. always take pain medication at least an hour before.

frankly, one hour in that chair was barely worth it. but, this dx has helped make my gums bad, so i went every 2 months. unfortunately she left to take a teaching position, and now hubby and i haven't been for over 2 months.

just the pain meds and like those cushions for airplanes if you use them, or folded up towels, etc. good luck. sequoia

SuzyQ #259504 10/16/13 03:50 PM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
Our local community college (dentistry section) allows certain people to come in for a pretty thorough cleaning involving several x-ray scans while acting as the student's practice patient. I recently finished my experience of the whole thing that lasted a couple of months. During each visit (about 5 in total), I had the same "student" working on me, and I met 3 of the instructors. One in particular took an interest in the fact I have AS. We began to talk about how AS involves an over-production of calcium-type deposits and their possible involvement with calculus on teeth. After some investigation, this instructor began to wonder if the saliva in my mouth could be responsible for carrying additional calcium which resulted in some of the calculus around my teeth. The other instructors were very interested (maybe just overly cautious) about the fact I have AS. Maybe it was because of the pain medication I am on or that I'm taking Atenolol (heart beta-blocker). So I would definitely make sure they know about your condition and any medications.

As for the pain, I brought a u-shaped head pillow to put under my neck and a lumbar pillow (those round, column-like pillows) to support my back. You might also think of something to prop up your knees. Even though dentist chairs cradle the body somewhat, I felt more comfortable with the added cushions.

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in 2003. I began having issues with my Sciatica as far back as 1989. I'm currently on Humira, Oxycontin, Baclofen, and Atenolol. I have spent the last 4 years conducting extensive research studying the Social Security disability application/appeals process including the CFR, POMS, SSR, Hallex, and hundreds of Federal Appeals cases.
SuzyQ #259519 10/16/13 09:55 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Tell the dentist, and complain bitterly and noisily if he tries to push your head into a bad position. Take something like a little squishy microbead pillow (one of those travel types) to put behind your neck. Tell the dentist that you can't open your mouth wide, and don't try to. Ask before he starts the work if he can stop every five minutes to let you readjust your position. Those dentist chairs aren't great for AS backs.

Main thing though is to make sure the dentist understands what your neck is like, and if they don't, then try to find a new dentist for next time.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
SuzyQ #259532 10/17/13 02:26 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Kick, that's interesting about the calculus. I've always had a lot on the back of my lower front teeth. In fact I keep a dental scraper tool at my makeup table and scrape the stuff as best I can a couple of times a week. If I don't it really builds up and even fills up the spaces between those teeth. Even after my teeth have just been cleaned by the hygenist, the back of those lower front teeth feels like sandpaper from all the calculus grit left on them.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
SuzyQ #259533 10/17/13 02:36 AM
O
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
O
Susie,
I hope you got through your appointment ok. There is nothing worse than the dental chair for discomfort. I'm not sure who they are made for, but I am short and everything hits in the wrong spot. I am due for my cleaning soon. I had eye surgery last year while my shoulder was messed up. The chair was very much like a dental chair. They had to prop pillows everywhere so that I could sit comfortably. Hopefully the dentist will be as accommodating.

Age 61. AS dx'd at age 57
HLA-B27+,iritis/uveitis periodically since 1970, diabetic
Meds. naproxen and muscle relaxer(as needed)
SouthernMoss #259541 10/17/13 05:36 AM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
Originally Posted By: SouthernMoss
Kick, that's interesting about the calculus.

I asked the student if she ever found something worse than calculus. She asked, "like what?" I said, "trigonometry" - it took her a while before she got the joke (but I'm not too sure she ever really "got" the joke).

Anyway, you might be careful about self-scraping all the time. You could roughen up your teeth so much that bacteria could grow in all the microcosms, and if this theory about AS causing one's saliva to be more concentrated with calcium could become a bigger problem.

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in 2003. I began having issues with my Sciatica as far back as 1989. I'm currently on Humira, Oxycontin, Baclofen, and Atenolol. I have spent the last 4 years conducting extensive research studying the Social Security disability application/appeals process including the CFR, POMS, SSR, Hallex, and hundreds of Federal Appeals cases.
SuzyQ #259560 10/17/13 08:21 PM
S
SuzyQ Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Thanks for all of the tips! I survived my cleaning! The hygienist was very good and told me to tell her if I needed a break. I'm also short and the chairs are not at all comfortable. I will look for a neck pillow for next time. I've had AS for a number of years now so they are well aware of it and I always take pain meds ahead of time lol. She was surprised that I didn't take antibiotics any more but my dr never agreed with the initial recommendations for mitral valve prolapse and he made the decision to stop them when the recommendations changed. She felt that with taking the biologics it would be a good idea so I have to check with the dr again.

SuzyQ #259574 10/18/13 02:03 AM
E
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
Wow. I never knew about the calculus, and I have that too. It's annoying to me that I can feel a sharp edge inside my front teeth.

I see a peridontist every six months, and the hygenist I see almost every time knows to have a pillow for me.

SuzyQ #259582 10/18/13 03:15 AM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
Just to be clear about my statements about calculus and AS - it's just a theory about how the saliva "may" contain more concentrated amounts of calcium-type material that could result in additional calculus on the teeth. It makes perfect sense to me, but I haven't taken any time to research this for real.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard