Print Thread
Flare up pain with stinging pain
#263230 01/09/14 11:48 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I was just wondering if anyone experiencing a flare up has had radiating pain ALONG WITH what feels like a stinging pain. I am experiencing this in conjunction with a flare up in my SI joint, with the stinging in my upper spine/ shoulder region. Any help would be appreciated!

Iritis/uveitis
GERD
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Condochondritis
Skin Rash
Arthritis in distal appendages
Enthesitis
Gastroparesis

Meds-
Remicade infusions
Tramodol
Hydorcodone
Cyclobenzaprine
Re: Flare up pain with stinging pain
Mama_Wicks #263231 01/10/14 12:29 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Radiating and stinging are both words that sound like they indicate nerve pain. I have no idea if it could be part of your SpA or if it is a separate problem that rears its head as a "downstream" effect of your spondy flare. Where does this pain occur/start and where does it radiate? Do you have any MRI results that indicate problems that could cause nerve pain - e.g. spinal cord impingement from a bulging disc, stenosis, spondylolisthesis?

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Mama_Wicks #263232 01/10/14 12:32 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I am very familiar with this. It sounds like nerve impingement in the cervical spine. I have stenosis and bulging discs which cause this.

Is this your first flare with stinging pain?

41 y/o female, diagnosed RA 2009, sacroiliitis, peripheral arthritis, most major joints involved, HLA-B27- but suspect AS or spondylitis, Raynaud's, GERD, currently taking Orencia sub-Q, Mtx via injection, citalopram, omeprazole, tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine.

2012 - diagnosed with colitis and iritis and seronegative arthritis.

Failed - Enbrel (stopped working after 10 months), Humira (no effect) and Remicade (failed after two years).
tropicalisland #263233 01/10/14 02:02 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Originally Posted By: tropicalisland
I am very familiar with this. It sounds like nerve impingement in the cervical spine. I have stenosis and bulging discs which cause this.

Is this your first flare with stinging pain?

Ditto and its all the time here I am about to go nuts...nothing helps. I also get it mid spine bc I have thoracic disc issues here as well.

Have you tried neurontin? I helps alot of people...my dad being one of them. I can't tolerate it. Makes me loopy.

I would discuss this with your dr if hi have not already!

Mama_Wicks #263248 01/10/14 05:43 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I have this and take gabapentin (Neurontin), which helps quite a bit. I have bulging discs, fibromyalgia, and muscle spasms in addition to AS, so I don't know what exactly causes this pain. Mine's in my thoracic spine and across my shoulders. It's a persistent burning, sometimes stinging pain. My muscles there are tender and extremely hard. It wouldn't hurt to get an MRI done.

Amy

27 years old
AS diagnosis 2013; neck pain for seven or eight years, and spreading multiple-joint pain for about two years
Also: Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, hypoglycemia, Raynaud's phenomenon
Meds: Remicade, Norco (10-325 mg), Gabapentin, allergy shots, Prozac, Synthroid (25-50 mcg)
Mama_Wicks #263250 01/10/14 09:10 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
I'd agree it sounds like nerve pain. I was in for my pain med refill this week. I couldn't sit in the room as my SI's were "on fire" as I am flaring particularly bad right now. She immediately said it was likely nerve pain and wrote a script for gabopentin along with my zytram xl. I am only taking the gabopentin at night as I can manage it during the day with position, etc. It seems to be helping so fa FWIW...

Officially dx'ed Nov/10 after being symptomatic 10+ yrs. HLA-B27 positive. 200mg Celebrex twice a day, Targin for pain. Started SSZ in Nov'13 for peripheral issues. Jan '14 added Gabopentin for SI flare related nerve pain. Nov '14 added MTX to the mix. July '15 liver enzymes went crazy and off SSZ and MTX. Back on both at reduced dosages in Aug'15. March '16-son#1 dx'ed AS

Mama_Wicks #263251 01/10/14 10:13 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Thanks all for the responses. I am about three weeks out from a scheduled appointment with my rheumatologist. I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia or anything else but AS at the moment. My stinging pain comes and goes. I just started an internship in a cardiac hospital and really don't have the time or energy to have a flare up of AS, let alone possible nerve impingement. I will ask my doctor about the neurotonin. How well will that mix with an hour drive both ways and 9 hours of clinic time?!?! I am not a fan of this disease, FYI.

Iritis/uveitis
GERD
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Condochondritis
Skin Rash
Arthritis in distal appendages
Enthesitis
Gastroparesis

Meds-
Remicade infusions
Tramodol
Hydorcodone
Cyclobenzaprine
Mama_Wicks #263253 01/11/14 01:13 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Neurontin (gabapentin) can work well on nerve related pain, whether of the fibro sort or the more acute/transient types like disc herniation/nerve impingement, diabetic neuropathy, or shingles. Unfortunately, it can definitely make you very sleepy, so if you are prescribed this med or something similar like Lyrica (pregabalin), do test it out on the weekend. As someone mentioned, if it does make you drowsy, taking it only at bedtime, rather than around the clock, may help some & is worth a shot.

Yeah, between work, families, etc. none of us have the time, energy, or desire for a spondylitis flare smile Given the intense and stressful demands of your work (and the fact that you're "on the inside") I would encourage you to call your rheumy first thing Monday and push to be seen ASAP. Let us know how you are doing!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard