Next Thread
Print Thread
Fibromyalgia Medications
#264262 02/16/14 08:18 AM
Dobeigh Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I was doing so good! I've been taking neurontin 300mg twice daily, effexor 75mg twice daily for the past 6 months. I was doing so good! I barely had any pain! My ankylosing spondylitis was controlled with naproxen 500mg twice daily and enbrel 50mg one weekly. I don't think my pain is ankylosing pain. I think it is more fibromyalgia. It is very muscular. I've been laying on a heating pad for like 2 weeks, moving it around to all the different areas that hurt. I also have vicodin I can take but I don't like to take it and only take it when nothing else works.

So my question is... can effexor just Stop Working? I was doing so good! I don't know if it is the effexor just quit working or if I'm just working too much. I'm an RN and I work a full time job and a part time job. I just started the part time job so I've had to do a lot of orientation for it so, essentially, I'm working two full time jobs until I'm off orientation. I don't know which is which. I've been working a lot for the past 8 months anyway. I've always had a full time job and then I would have multiple low-commitment part time jobs (they would call me when they need me). So really, it isn't that much of a change in work for me. I am a little stressed out though too because the unit I got a new job on is a cardiac step down ICU job and I'm used to being a med/surg/telemetry RN (patients are a lot less sick). I love cardiac patients but I don't know a lot so it is a little stressful switching to something where my patients are so sick. Plus, I'm flipping back and forth between dayshift and night shift to complete the orientation (dayshift). My normal shift is night shift and in a couple weeks my part time job will be on night shift. Then I will be a little more consistent.

My question is... what should I do? Should I wait to go back to the rheumatologist until after orientation is over? Should I go now and maybe start a new medication sooner? I'm tempted to just wait until after my schedule levels out. Effexor has been working for me and suddenly it stops working when I'm getting a little stressed out. I know fibromyalgia is kinda mysterious and the origins are thought to be in the brain (hence, the treatment with antidepressants). The only thing is getting through orientation with such low energy! I have no energy, I'm hurting, and people don't want to hear why you're not on your A-game. The past 6 months, I've been very energetic. I'm only 25 years old so working multiple jobs has not been a problem for me until now.

Kay (28 years old)
Diagnosis: Ankylosing Spondylitis (January 23, 2012), HLA-B27+, Fibromyalgia (July 27, 2012)
Current Medications: Enbrel, Flexeril, Prilosec, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Savella, Zanaflex, Zoloft, Neurontin.
Re: Fibromyalgia Medications
Dobeigh #264263 02/16/14 09:16 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
So sorry Kay. I know nothing about fibro or the meds, but I do know that stress and/or overdoing it triggers AS flares for me. So it could be that things will settle down once your schedules become more consistent, but I realise that doesn't help you in the meantime. Then again, a new med might not work that quickly anyway. SO I'm basically no use at all, but wish you luck...

Shirley
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler and eating low starch/low GI.
Dobeigh #264266 02/16/14 03:24 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
The dr. could up your neurotin. Right now, you aren't on a very high dose of it.
I take 900mg of it, 3 times a day.
But having the stress of 2 jobs, can send you into a flare.
I know if I'm stress, and do too much activity, can send me into a flare.
Keep your head up, and ask your dr. for some help.

Dobeigh #264267 02/16/14 03:56 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hi Kay,
I'm not a fibro guy. Never been on flexor. Talking with your doc is always a this idea ( I will send an email if I have a quick question). In not comfortable answering your question directly, knowing how I behave, I'd probably wait to see if I can get things under control. But I'd also talk with my wife who knows me really well.

Thanks for your post and I hope you start feeling better soon.
You've given me something to think about.
Looking back over my life, I think every major flare happened when I was stressed. Long hours & long commutes. That's with or without meds. I have a tendency to work really hard with long hours, but I think that can catch up with me. My first flare as an adult was about 6 months after my first job and I also started a second part time job 'for fun'. I was young and strong and never would have considered downtime important. I need to be mindful of my rest, stress (mental), diet and activity.

sending thoughts and prayers for health.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Dobeigh #264283 02/17/14 10:43 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
That is definitely a lot. Just the shift changes between day and night can mess with your fibro. You could definitely go up in your Neurontin dose if your doctor OKs it. I'm up to 1,500 mg a day. I doubt you can know very accurately during stress how well Effexor is working, unfortunately.

Amy

27 years old
AS diagnosis 2013; neck pain for seven or eight years, and spreading multiple-joint pain for about two years
Also: Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, hypoglycemia, Raynaud's phenomenon
Meds: Remicade, Norco (10-325 mg), Gabapentin, allergy shots, Prozac, Synthroid (25-50 mcg)
Dobeigh #264290 02/18/14 05:36 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I was on a drug in the same class as Effexor for quite a few years and it stopped working. There are quite a number of drugs in that class. My doctor switched me to a different one and it worked.

Male, mid 50s, Dx Reactive Arthritis 1981. AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Some bowel issues, anemia. Inflammation of the joints in hands and feet.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard