Print Thread
Going to school with AS....
#265061 03/18/14 11:07 PM
E
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
Okay, so I'm currently getting my Master's degree and all this back pain started at the same time that I started school. My classes are 1-2 times a week, 4 hours each. We probably get at least 1 break in each class, sometimes 2 breaks that are only 15-20 minutes long. It is very difficult for me to sit that long, with or without AS, but I find it more difficult because of the pain. My school does have lumbar support chairs, but you have to go through a lot of channels to get access to one.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me? I have tried using a pillow, taking aspirin before class starts, walking around, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Help me!!

DX: Ankylosing Spondylitis, Dec 31, 2013
HLA-B27 +
Meds: Humira (40 mg/every other week, Sulfasalazine (3000 mg/ a day), Tylenyol Arthritis as needed, Flexiril or Metaxalone as needed
Pain in SI joints/low back, left hip, and left knee.
Re: Going to school with AS....
ElizWithAS #265086 03/19/14 08:51 PM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
welcome!

i really don't have any advice/suggestions. have you tried a cushion? i know they make support ones and some with gel in them. just a thought. i am in school too, but my classes are only an hour and 15 minutes long, i find it hard to sit through them because of the pain too. I can't imagine a 4 hour class!

i can't fall back i came too far, hold myself up and love my scars...
ElizWithAS #265087 03/19/14 09:32 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Could you ask your professors if they would allow you to stand up for 5-10 minutes once an hour? Maybe have a desk at the back of the room so it wouldn't be too distracting. You could still listen to the lecture and take notes while standing. You could bring a note from your doctor explaining your condition and how the standing up would be helpful.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
ElizWithAS #265099 03/20/14 02:46 AM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
I always talked to my professors at the beginning of the semester to notify them that I have health conditions that cause GI problems and joint pain, and that I would at times need to take frequent bathroom breaks, breaks to walk around, or might need to stand at the back of the class. Everyone was always understanding, because I approached them about it before it was an "issue" and before they had drawn their own conclusions about my frequent exits from the room. I was also considerate of doing my best to create the least classroom disturbance possible.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol
ElizWithAS #265109 03/20/14 09:07 PM
E
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
For the most part, I have noticed that walking is far better than simply standing. I notice that just standing creates more pain than the walking does. I'll probably start exiting the classroom for a quick walk down the hallway to loosen up!

DX: Ankylosing Spondylitis, Dec 31, 2013
HLA-B27 +
Meds: Humira (40 mg/every other week, Sulfasalazine (3000 mg/ a day), Tylenyol Arthritis as needed, Flexiril or Metaxalone as needed
Pain in SI joints/low back, left hip, and left knee.
ElizWithAS #265300 03/29/14 12:12 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I am certainly not a 20 something, but I have some advice. Think about your limitations from AS when doing your career planning. I have a desk job that allows me to move around periodically which is key for AS.

Male, mid 50s, Dx Reactive Arthritis 1981. AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Some bowel issues, anemia. Inflammation of the joints in hands and feet.
ElizWithAS #267397 06/25/14 04:17 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Every university has a student disability office. They can help you with a reasonable accommodation, whether it's to get a chair with lumbar support, allowing you to leave class every so often, or even to get a fellow classmate to take notes for you when you have to leave. I worked in my university's office and really so long as the student was proactive, the university would do whatever they could to accommodate them.

Rachel
ANA+, HLA-B27+, started Remicade June 2008, switched to Enbrel September 2010, switched to Humira April 2011, stopped biologics September 2011. Fusion already started, 25 years old.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard