Ice or Heat?
#265441 04/04/14 04:18 PM
G
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Hey Guys,
Well I seem to have failed the Humira after 5 months and rheumy wants to double up the humira to every week. I have lived on a heating pad for years now, but wondering if ice will help this chronic pain? I have tried it in the past but prefer heat because it feels better, but dont think it helps much other than easing the pain. What do y'all think?

57 year old happily married for 36 years. two kids and 4 grandkids. Diagnosed with AS April 2012, but negative markers. Failed Enbrel and switching to Humira, now injected weekly, 7.5/500 hydrocodone, clonazepam for sleep, Cymbalta 60 mg, voltarin gel, and occasional epidural steroid injections in lumbar and thoracic region to deal with back pain
Re: Ice or Heat?
GreenGenes #265442 04/04/14 04:38 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Unless its a new acute injury which should be iced the first while, its what ever works. For me I alternate, and believe it or for some pain do what I call "the baked Alaska" Heat on one side cold on the other. Its works best for me knee shoulder and especially a costo flair

GreenGenes #265444 04/04/14 06:00 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Like you, I prefer how heat feels. My massage therapist uses something like Biofreeze (similar active ingredient to BenGay but without the nasty smell) on sore areas after she works me over and I was surprised to find it seemed to help (soft tissue mostly though) and the cold sensation wasn't so bad. More like a numbing (though it doesn't have any numbing ingredients). I used ice a little when I was quite sore after SIJ injections and it was helpful then although I hated the cold feeling! Again though it mostly numbed. I have never tried ice for my chronic inflammatory pain (t-spine and posterior pelvis) but my vote is for you to go ahead, give it a shot, it can't hurt and if it helps please post and let us know!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
GreenGenes #265449 04/05/14 12:24 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Both for me. Depends how I feel. Ice does seem to give a lot better relief, though when the weather is cold I really don't feel like sitting on an ice pack to ease my SI joints. Heat kind of feels nice, but if things are really inflamed I suspect that ice works better. No harm in alternating though. The bits that ice really does seem to do well on for me are: plantar fasciitis, SI joint, TMJ and shoulders. The bits that heat feels nicest on are anywhere on my spine right up to my neck. Only place I wouldn't use ice would be the back of my neck, as I've been warned that it can make you rather woozy. I suppose it would be worst if you had the ice pack over your neck blood vessels - would be a bit like cryotherapy I suppose.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
GreenGenes #265451 04/05/14 01:07 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Whatever works best for you. I use heat exclusively because cold causes my muscles to tighten up and spasm.

Poppa John:
Symptomatic since 1988, diagnosed with Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, probable IBD March 2013. HLA B27 neg. Sacroillitis, Osteitis, Fibromyalgia
Fused T 2-12, Fused C 5-7, HNP L4-5 with laminectomy/discectomy 2014.
GreenGenes #265454 04/05/14 02:38 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Having had both muscle spasms and nerve pain, I have found heat to work best for muscle problems and cold to work best on nerve problems.

Dx w/ AS in 1985. HLA-B27+. Left total hip replacement in 1998, lost 2" of height due to osteoporosis. Relevant meds include Remicade, Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma.7 hour spine fusion surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy but have residual myelopathy. I have generalized osteoarthritis and have worn out hips, knees, big toes, and some fingers are fused or growing bones. Disabled since 2015. Chronic pain patient on a high dose of opioids. Live in zero gravity chair.
Jeffn #265492 04/07/14 02:55 PM
G
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
thanks for all the responses. I am under the conclusion that heat is my best option as that is what works best for me, but I think the correct answer is it is all just a temporary stop on the pain train! Man, this disease has been the biggest challenge in my life. I have raced through life trying to accomplish and succeed, now I have to be a bystander, and watch from the sidelines. Im trying not to succumb to the temptations to give up, but I know thats not me, so I guess we keep on going on with a fake smile on our faces which is what we do right?

57 year old happily married for 36 years. two kids and 4 grandkids. Diagnosed with AS April 2012, but negative markers. Failed Enbrel and switching to Humira, now injected weekly, 7.5/500 hydrocodone, clonazepam for sleep, Cymbalta 60 mg, voltarin gel, and occasional epidural steroid injections in lumbar and thoracic region to deal with back pain

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard