SI Joint
#266499 05/18/14 06:26 PM
S
StLouis Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Does anyone else have issues with the SI joint, despite other symptoms somewhat resolved? I am on Remicade and it has done a very good job for me, however, when I work in the yard, the SI joint just screams. Any thoughts.

Re: SI Joint
StLouis #266500 05/18/14 11:23 PM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
I was on my hands & knees weeding yesterday. Although I wasn't in pain while doing it, when I came in to cool down & rest, I could feel SI pain building up. Was horrible 4:00 this morning. I had to get up and move to work it out. But I know I overdid it and will be paying for it for the next few days. I could barely walk this morning. But over the course of the day, its not so bad but I'll be in pain again tonite. Everything else is ok except for my Achilles heel probably from crouching down all day. I took a warm bath, took an NSAID and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. For me, I think it's time to hire a yard boy.

Dx: Spondyloarthropathy/Connective Tissue Disorder (2/12), AS (9/12) HLA B27 negative, sacroilitis on x-ray - Current Meds: Methotrexate (20 mg), Leucovorin (30 mg), Protonix, Relafen, Vicodin and Tramadol PRN, Enbrel (9/12) Humira (7/15)
Bella22 #266502 05/19/14 01:38 AM
S
StLouis Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Yard work is my way to relax. I had my son-in-law do the gutters. It is simply the bending. The remicade has really helped in regards to Achilles and tendon inflammation. I think a pain patch and electrical stimulation will do. I was just curious if I was the Lone Ranger. smile

StLouis #266505 05/19/14 04:06 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
shocked uuuuuh, you can still do yard work? hehehe.

Sebeth
---------------
AS onset at age 13, finally diagnosed in 1989, age 22!
Currently awaiting Cosentyx.
IBS, Polycythemia Vera, Anticardiolipid Syndrome,
Myositis, Adrenal Insuffiency, Asthma, etc...
StLouis #266521 05/19/14 05:33 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
StLouis --
I'm a gardener, too, and have found that, difficult though it is, I do much better if I limit myself to working in many small sessions, rather than trying to complete one huge task all at once. It's frustrating, but eventually the job gets done...or not!

On the bending issue - I try not to! For years I've made a conscious effort to buy longer-handled rakes, hoes, etc. and
I keep an eye out for arthritis-friendly hand tools. I use a stainless steel table (from a restaurant kitchen) for a potting table--great height--and when I need to get "down & dirty," I sit on a Garden Rocker (from Lowe's)- only problem is getting back up from it sometimes! When I have to haul debris, heavy pots, etc., using a cart or wagon on wheels (rather than picking it up and carrying it) saves my back.

If you love to work in the yard, don't give it up, just realize that if you overdo you'll pay the price...only you can decide whether it's worth it! One caution: if you're on any medications that make you sun-sensitive, it's easy to get involved in a yard project and end up with a bad sunburn or other reaction. It's no fun, believe me...

Joani; 72-year-old with undifferentiated spondylitis and erosive inflammatory osteoarthritis in hands & wrists; taking low-dose prednisone, Vitamin D, use Voltaren gel for hands & wrists; other meds for heart, thyroid, allergies & sinusitis. Blessed with great husband, 5 kids & their spouses, 11 beautiful grandchildren.
gardengal #266531 05/19/14 09:24 PM
S
StLouis Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Thanks for the suggestions.

StLouis #266534 05/19/14 09:48 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
I can do so many activities and not get a sore back. Gardening is the worst and I just do it in small doses to avoid back problems. Mostly container gardening.

Diagnosed with Inflammatory Spondyloarthropathy 2009. Type 1 diabetes since 1976. Hypothyroidism since 1996. Generalized Annulare Granuloma since 2012.
Meds: Naproxsyn, Flexeril, Synthroid, Insulin with insulin pump

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard