Page 1 of 2 1 2
Knee pain
#266851 06/01/14 01:46 PM
O
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
O
My knees don't normally bother me much. Sometimes slight pain when walking stairs. These past two weeks my right knee has been swollen. Initially it was not terribly painful, but yesterday I nearly hit the floor about a half dozen times.It just gives out. The swelling is in the front of the knee, but the shooting pain seems to come from the back of the knee. Does this make sense to anyone? I have started taking my naproxen yesterday, but my stomach can only tolerate it for a few days. Just wondering if the location of the pain is a clue as to what is going on.

Age 61. AS dx'd at age 57
HLA-B27+,iritis/uveitis periodically since 1970, diabetic
Meds. naproxen and muscle relaxer(as needed)
Re: Knee pain
onlywhenilaugh #266852 06/01/14 03:04 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
It probably needs evaluated and more treatment.

Pain like you describe is more consistent with a tear. These are often brought on by inflammation Theses often resolve with treatment as they are usually partial. If you can't take oral NSAIDs, there are alternatives. You can get it shot up, NSAID patches like flector can help as can some of the creams. You can get some otc creams and patches. Salon Pas is agood friend. Ice frequently. Between PT, NSAIDs, and icing these things usually resolve in a few weeks.

Good luck!

onlywhenilaugh #266853 06/01/14 03:14 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
only, have you ever tried taking an acid reducer with your naproxen? I'm taking zantac with mine and it helps a lot. Been on the full dose of naproxen since mid-Decmeber and stomach is doing well so far. You can even take stronger acid reducers like Prilosec. Both are available OTC.

Just a thought as it might help you tolerate the nsaid longer until you can try some of the things that lamb suggested.

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.
onlywhenilaugh #266854 06/01/14 03:23 PM
O
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
O
Thanks tntlamb. Good suggestions. Brenda I do take omeprazole with naproxen, but still not enough to take nsaids regularly. My stomach is a mess even without nsaids.

onlywhenilaugh #266862 06/02/14 12:35 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hi OWIL. Sorry you have such discomfort. I was Dx'd recently (assuming the Dx is accurate), but the worst of my pain was in my knees...especially the left one. Mine was like yours w/ the swelling in the front of the knee, but some of the pain (the worst of it) was in the back of the joint. The rheum I saw said the back of the knee was swollen too...I just couldn't see it. Anyway, he told me this is very typical of AS when it attacks the knee. He explained that when the fluid starts to build up in the joint, it tends to fill space at the back side of the joint and the underside of the knee is more sensitive...has more soft tissue, thus more nerve-endings there, or something like that. Not sure I got that right 100%. Well, he drained the left knee of fluid because it had the most swelling of the involved joints, which was done with a needle at the (left) side of the knee. Have you ever had fluid removed from any joint? I was surprised there was no pain. He numbed the skin with a cold spray, then inserted the needle. Oddly, I could feel the pressure of the needle in the joint, but no pain. I was happily surprised. He said removing the fluid might give me relief...supposedly, it does for most patients. Maybe it helped me...I don't know for sure. I started on the Diclofenac the same day and it was feeling better in the morning, but of course I don't know what relieved the pain most--the fluid removal or starting the medication. Perhaps you would benefit from removal of fluid. I'm so new to this, I can't comment on the meds issue, except to say there are a few options if the pain recurs. I hear some people get a cortisone injection into the joint and that it can really help. Have you ever had a cortisone injection? Well, mostly I replied to say that my experience with knee pain is very similar to what you described, and to share with you what I was told about this. I hope you feel better soon!

onlywhenilaugh #266863 06/02/14 01:26 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I have been having almost constant knee pain for over a year. My GP injected both my knees with cortisone in January. They have been much better since then. I still have the swelling that you describe but much less pain.
The swelling in the popliteal space behind the knee is usually a Baker's Cyst which is caused by fluid leaking from the knee joint. I've seen countless Baker's Cysts over the years while working in diagnostic ultrasound.
I agree with tntlamb, it needs to be evaluated by a physician.

onlywhenilaugh #266866 06/02/14 03:56 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Most of my knee pain is from secondary OA, but I do occasionally get pain in the back of my left knee. I've always assumed it was enthesitis in some of the tendons or ligaments back there. My knees generally don't swell, although they often feel tight as if they are swollen.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
onlywhenilaugh #266883 06/02/14 05:48 PM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
OWIL, YES! One of my bigger issues as well is my knees. Have the exact same issue in both of them. Swelling in the front and back of both knees. And when it gets bad, my knees almost give out as well. It's not fun at all. Only thing that has helped me is steroid injections. I haven't had the fluid drawn though like Eilatan mentioned, that may be an option as well. I'll be curious to ask my rheumy about that at next visit.

Beth
onlywhenilaugh #266886 06/02/14 06:31 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Most docs won't aspirate a bakers cyst with arthrits/AS patients because of the high risk of infection (or fluid in general) Its also a procedure that can be EXTREMELY painful and fail because the fluid produced in these disease is often "jelly like" Years ago it was routine, these days not so much

onlywhenilaugh #266887 06/02/14 08:41 PM
O
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
O
Thanks all for your responses. I was in to see my primary last week and mentioned the knee pain. She offered to x-ray, but I declined thinking it would be better to get an appointment with rheumy. So that is the plan, but in the meantime I am hoping that the naproxen will reduce the inflammation a bit. I am reluctant to get injection or aspiration of fluid mostly because I am a coward. However I have not been able to get around properly for a couple of weeks and I am very tired of it. So I will see what rheumy advises. Due to insurance I must return to my last rheumy who didn't care to consider anything beyond anti-tnf. Not quite ready to do that either, but again I can't continue to not be able to get around, so we will see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard