Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Clavicle pain
#267619 07/14/14 03:06 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Hello all, I've been absent from the forum for a while trying to get on with my life. I have checked in occasionaly to see how everyone is doing.

I saw my rheumatologist last month for six month follow up. I become more confused every visit. When I voice my concerns about new or worsening pain her response is always "it is what it is". This visit I told her that mowing the lawn was causing a considerable amount of pain, to which she asked who had "told me I could do that?". I said that no one had told me I could't. She then said that I am not to mow the lawn, even with the riding mower, no raking, sweeping, moping or anything that could cause vibration, shock or twisting of my spine. She has never offered me any treatment other than prescribing Cymbalta and telling me to continue the nsaid my pcp had prescribed. Looking for a new rheumatologist is in the near future.

Last Friday I went to help my daughter who had a clogged drain. She is a divorced mother of three and can't afford a plumber.
I was pushing a drain snake into the kitchen drain and felt/heard a "pop" in my left sternoclavicular joint. It has been very painful since. Any pushing or pulling with my left arm hurts.
I guess "it is what it is" and I can add that to the list of things I'm not supposed to do no.

Finished with my rant. Thanks for letting me vent.

Poppa John:
Symptomatic since 1988, diagnosed with Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, probable IBD March 2013. HLA B27 neg. Sacroillitis, Osteitis, Fibromyalgia
Fused T 2-12, Fused C 5-7, HNP L4-5 with laminectomy/discectomy 2014.
Re: Clavicle pain
Poppa_John #267620 07/14/14 03:13 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
"it is what it is" isn't necessarily bad advice but "Looking for a new rheumatologist is in the near future." should be "Looking for a new rheumatologist this morning." you need a ton more aggressive treatment than Cymbalta or "it is what it is" will become "it was what it was, but it ain't no more"

Poppa_John #267621 07/14/14 04:02 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I'm not clear what the concern with these movements. Can you break or damage your spine by twisting while sweeping? Idk, but that would surprise me. It seems to me activity and exercise is an indicated treatment and shouldn't be eliminated. Modified, but eliminated.

You can have sternoclavial joint checked out by a doc. But personally, that would be a reminder to me to stretch and exercise my chest, shoulder area. Not to avoid it.

Perhaps a physical therapy or occupational therapy referral would be helpful.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
RAHMBA #267622 07/14/14 04:37 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Originally Posted By: RAHMBA
I'm not clear what the concern with these movements. Can you break or damage your spine by twisting while sweeping? Idk, but that would surprise me. It seems to me activity and exercise is an indicated treatment and shouldn't be eliminated. Modified, but eliminated.

You can have sternoclavial joint checked out by a doc. But personally, that would be a reminder to me to stretch and exercise my chest, shoulder area. Not to avoid it.

Perhaps a physical therapy or occupational therapy referral would be helpful.

Thats exactly right. The one thing that sets AS apart is that exercise makes it BETTER not worse. (right exercise) LACK of exercise makes it worse. Not to mention harder to recover. Even a severly damaged shoulder bone on bone type damage is sent to PT. This actually is a bit out of the purvey of rheumatology.

Last edited by tntlamb; 07/14/14 04:38 PM.
Poppa_John #267623 07/14/14 04:40 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I agree RAHMBA, I was under the impression that the best thing was to continue to move. If we stop trying to keep things moving we will without a doubt lose the ability to move.
Thanks also TNTLAMB. I agree with you.

Poppa John:
Symptomatic since 1988, diagnosed with Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, probable IBD March 2013. HLA B27 neg. Sacroillitis, Osteitis, Fibromyalgia
Poppa_John #267624 07/14/14 05:17 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Please get a new doctor right away, you need more aggressive treatment.

Perhaps an appointment with PT would help you understand how to move? For education? Meanwhile, call your regular dr about your new pain.

Sorry.

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Poppa_John #267626 07/14/14 05:52 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Thanks to all for the input. I always feel better if I keep moving. True enough that I may suffer more if I overdo but in the long run if I do things in moderation, do as much as possible until I feel I need to stop then rest awhile then start again, I can do most things. I have given up climbing ladders, etc. but I'm not ready to lay down and die yet.

Poppa John:
Poppa_John #267659 07/17/14 02:39 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Activity, aggressive treatment, new rheumy. Yes to all of the above.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard