Print Thread
SSD
#270179 02/02/15 04:43 PM
S
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Just wanted to offer hope to those waiting for SSD, I was just fully approved after waiting over 18 months. Hang in there!

S. Elizabeth

Dx AS in 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds.
Humira wkly, Mtx inject wkly, Soma, Hydrocodone. Tried Remicade, allergic reactions so back to Humira

Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.
Re: SSD
smittygirl50 #270556 03/11/15 02:54 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I also wanted to offer encouragement, I was approved upon my initial application as of 3/15. I applied 11/14 after not working since 6/13. I allowed fear to keep me from applying, however when I got a favorable decision, I was so glad that I did!Not everyone is denied.

smittygirl50 #270557 03/11/15 02:55 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I also wanted to offer encouragement, I was approved upon my initial application as of 3/15. I applied 11/14 after not working since 6/13. I allowed fear to keep me from applying, however when I got a favorable decision, I was so glad that I did!Not everyone is denied.

wyndys #270637 03/16/15 08:27 AM
M
First time visitor
First time visitor
M
Was age a determining factor? Curious of ages of people getting approved I was denied my first and just starting the appeal process. My age is 42.

smittygirl50 #270638 03/16/15 11:29 AM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
I was 44 when approved (42 when it was filed).

AS/PsA DX in 1988

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44
smittygirl50 #270844 03/30/15 03:28 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I have been declined and awaiting a hearing. My application was in August of 2014. After denial, I got an advocate at my Rhmy suggestion. He said it was increasingly harder to qualify for benefits. He documented that I was no longer able to work in my records. My advocate said it will be 13 - 18 months before the hearing. Social security argued that because of my level of education I should be able to adapt to some kind of job. If anyone has a suggestion that may speed up the process, I would greatly appreciate it. I just turned 50, diagnosed with AS in 2007. Humira is the only reason I was able to work this long. Humira reduced the number and duration of my flares for a long time. I was a Bank branch manager and was terminated for what they called "impaired judgement". I had had a flare that had lasted 3 months. I couldn't take pain meds at work and had an hour one way commute to work. I now realize they did me a favor but all of this is said to illustrate that all of the education in the world can not make you perform any job effectively when in constant pain.

Mary Sills
smittygirl50 #270846 03/30/15 04:18 PM
R
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Hi, MaryLouSills; sorry to hear about all of your pain and other symptoms. Yes, I agree, how can one focus when in constant pain. I believe that Social Security needs to give claimants more credit for symptoms such as pain, which certainly can be disabling.

As far as speeding up the process, you should really ask your advocate (representative) what he/she can do to help. Whether it is writing a request for an "On the Record" decision or in qualifying situations, alleging "dire need" because of homelessness, or simply calling the hearing office to check the status and try to get the hearing scheduled, your representative will be in the best position to know what may be done.

All the best,

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.
smittygirl50 #270847 03/30/15 04:19 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Thanks, smittygirl150 and everyone who posted here for offering encouragement to others going through this process.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard