Next Thread
Print Thread
Been denied twice
#270184 02/03/15 05:46 AM
cbarn74 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I filed for SSDI 3 years ago. I was denied the first time, but that was before my AS dx. Then I had a hearing in Sept 2014 after waiting 2 years!!! I was so nervous I was shaky and nauseous for 2 days afterward. It took him 4 months for a decision and he denied me again. They said that I am just overweight and could do a desk job. My lawyer wants to meet with me again to appeal and I'm debating on appealing or just giving up. I have lots of medical evidence but the doctors don't agree on everything. I have also had to switch primary care drs. The first one I had for 3 years but she did the same tests over and over and never found a cause of my problems. (She ended up going on med leave right after I changed and then she died.) So I was going to the next dr. I went to her for about 6 months and I called her for an appt and they told me she left the practice!!! It took me 3 months to find another one. This primary care dr doesn't know me very well and I'm not sure how much help she will be. I have my rhumy but the office said they will not fill out disability papers anymore because they had too many requests. I don't know what to do frown

40 year old, Dx with AS December 2013, Depression, pain in hips, left knee, ankles, feet, hands, shoulder, ribs, and moving up back, GI inflammation, hiatal hernia, diverticulitis, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness...
Re: Been denied twice
cbarn74 #270199 02/04/15 04:42 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I would strongly suggest you find a new Rheumatologist who can provide the medical documentation you need to fight this. My attorneys told me that the medical evidence is 90% of the decision process. Good luck to you.

S. Elizabeth

Dx AS in 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds.
Humira wkly, Mtx inject wkly, Soma, Hydrocodone. Tried Remicade, allergic reactions so back to Humira

Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.
cbarn74 #270209 02/05/15 12:38 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
You need to try again.
I would try the rhumy again. If he won't fill out the paper work, have him give your pri. dr. your files. The pri. should have your rhumy, files, anyway.

cbarn74 #270210 02/05/15 03:13 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Often you can get the rhuemy to fill out the paperwork if you are sitting there, as if it is an appointment. That way they get paid for the time spent etc. That is what I did. That paperwork is mostly ...can she walk a mile on level ground? Can she lift something that weights 5 pounds. Hard to fill out without the patient in front of you anyway.

When I was denied they said I could be a cashier but I was able to produce x-rays showing my hands and ankles were damaged so I can not stand long nor hit cash register keys. Got it quickly. It was the x-rays that did it.

So if they say you can sit, you need x-rays showing butt is messed up. Also, you need to show history of treatment. If you applied before diagnosis, perhaps you haven't had any treatment nor effort to treat.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
cbarn74 #270492 03/06/15 02:15 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I also have AS and have been denied for Social Security Disability twice. I now have an advocate helping with my case. It is ironic I worked in unbearable pain for years missing very few days. I had a severe flare and was off three weeks. When I returned to work, I was terminated for using bad judgment on a decision I made as a Branch Manager at a bank. I had pushed myself for years to hold on and work through the pain. I think one of the things that get little consideration is just making an appearance is not doing your job. If you have chronic pain you can not use good judgment. Now I am at home wondering how I was ever able to drive over an hour one way and make decisions that impacted so many when my pain was obviously affecting my performance. I have been home eight months and awaiting a hearing that could be over a year away. Loosing my job and insurance meant loosing my Humira. Now I can barely get around. I guess I said all of this to say I understand how difficult it is to get disability. I am hoping the advocate can represent me at the hearing and get results I have not been able to achieve on my own. You may want to consider getting a professional to help. They do not charge up front, only if they are efective. Good Luck!

Mary Sills

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard