Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stress isn't the cause of AS or USpA, right?
#270877 04/01/15 04:50 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
i've seen some posts here that speak to how stress can impact the intensity of symptoms. however, does anyone know or believe that stress created the inflammatory issue in the first place? or that stress cause flares after a period of 'remission' or 'calm'?

i have not been able to find any actual research that speaks the impact of stress on AS or USpA. i have only heard personal antidotal stories.

i am curious because last May i started having new symptoms in my hands/arms and an increase in pain in my neck/back that i had 10 yrs prior. and in June my dog passed away (12 yrs old---it was unfortunately her time) which was completely devastating---huge amounts of stress. and so since May, my pain, symptoms and overall severity has increased and therefore i appear to be in a flare.

so the timing is slightly off in my scenario, although i was coming to the realization in May that my dog would not be making it much longer, leading up to her passing in June. and the level of grief and stress i have been in since her passing hit me much harder than i thought it would or could. (this was my first time dealing with a loss of a pet)

and then my symptoms exploded (flare) and i have been in the midst of it for the last 8-9 months. which of course also causes stress as well---dealing with the pain, the appts, the meds/side effects, the impact on my job, quality of life, etc.

so all that said, is there any known link of stress CAUSING these inflammatory diseases? or is stress merely an exacerbator of the disease?

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000
~ dx w/Cervical Myofascial Pain Syndrome in 2003
~ dx change to USpA/AS in Feb 2015 (HLA-B27 negative)
Currently taking Gabapentin 300mg/nightly, Meloxicam 15mg/daily, MTX 7.5mg/weekly, Folic Acid 3mg/daily, Biotin 5000mg/daily, and Flexiril & Norco only when absolutely needed.
tried Humira--no success, Enbrel & Cimzia--severe allergic reactions.
started Simponi infusions Jan 2016.

Re: stress isn't the cause of AS or USpA, right?
elenef #270878 04/01/15 06:52 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
There are many triggers that can take you out of remission. The weather, another disease, over doing it, etc. It is very hard to prove or disprove. For the first 20 years, my disease was mild and came and went for no reason. I would try various diets and go into remission and think a certain diet helped, until it no longer did--and then try another diet which after a while I would think that would help. If you kept a diary you might be able to figure something.

BTW, mine was mild until I went into menopause--another trigger. The monster came full time and after many medications am finally in remission.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
elenef #270886 04/01/15 09:35 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
sure, triggers can cause a flare of the already existing disease. but i guess i am wondering if stress can be found as an actual cause of the disease itself?

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000
Currently taking Gabapentin 300mg/nightly, Meloxicam 15mg/daily, MTX 7.5mg/weekly, Folic Acid 3mg/daily, Biotin 5000mg/daily, and Flexiril & Norco only when absolutely needed.

elenef #270890 04/01/15 10:48 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
No one knows the cause of AS or USpA.

Dr. Masi is investigating a bio mechanical activation (cause). As I understand his theory it's mechanical stress that sets off the cascade of inflammatory process. He has been investigating for years -decades- and is well respected and published. His theories have not been disproven and new studies (I recall one presented at ACR last year) continue to support his concept. SpindylitisPlus Summer 2012 has an article on this.

I personally suspect that emotional stress can mimick mechanical stress.

Kind regards,
Rich

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
elenef #270891 04/01/15 11:33 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
Rich: when you say mechanical stress, do you mean physical? as in, if i were to have a car accident or trama, and how that might cause inflammation that can't be controlled and therefore turns into a long term disease such as AS or USpA?

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000

elenef #270895 04/02/15 02:28 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S

Here's one study that looked at stress as a possible trigger for AS:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16633712

elenef #270898 04/02/15 06:34 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
My personal belief is that physical and emotional stress can effect the balance of the immune system. The immune system is constantly fighting off free radicals and bacterial and viral infections.
After listening to others, examining my own journey and study of all kinds of medical information; I believe that there are several factors that trigger onset that may take place over many years.
Bacterial infections, lack of restful sleep, physical and emotional stress, our Genes and tendancies toward inheiriting certain types of autoimmune diseases, the balance of our immune systems, serious injuries that certainly effect our immune systems,and the health of our gut, all seem to be a part of the big picture.
When my disease went into overdrive, I was under a lot of emotional stress and I had been fighting a recurring tooth infection over a period of several weeks and I had been having GI problems off and on for years.
I don,t think that stress is the sole cause, but indeed can play a part. I am sorry for your loss of your pet.
My dogs are a part of my family and I love each one of them.They have helped me to keep going and to keep fighting.
I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Spondylitis.and currently take Methotrexate and Enbrel.

MCM
elenef #270909 04/02/15 07:56 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
I'd believe it. I've had quite a few flares correlate with paper deadlines and other stressful scheduled activities, and many of my best recovery periods occurred when I found ways to just take my mind off everything and relax.

I mean, not every flare up happens when I'm stressed, but anytime I'm stressed, I do usually feel physically worse the next day.

Dx 08/2014: Non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA).
HLA-B27+, uveitis.
Meds: Humira (40mg/wk), Cosentyx (150mg/2wks), dexamethasone (0.75mg/day), gabapentin, baclofen.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard