Print Thread
First time using a wheelchair!
#271024 04/15/15 03:23 PM
K
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
I went on an outing with visiting family yesterday, and gave in and used a wheelchair. My right ankle was bothering me to the point where I had to wear a brace in addition to all my other pain, and my nephew agreed to push me around. I had a WONDERFUL time. I always was stubborn and felt like a wimp if I didn't walk, but getting over that hangup was the best thing I ever did! It was nice to enjoy the animals at the park, instead of being in severe pain the whole time. Anyone who feels like I did, my advice is GET OVER IT! Don't spend your time ignoring your disability and do what you need to do to enjoy your life. I will walk when I can, but will no longer torture myself to try and keep up with "normal" people. Just had to share - hope my experience will help others to not feel ashamed of our condition!

Diagnosed with AS November 2013,HLAb27-neg. Also diagnosed with Fibromyalga and CREST syndrome. Degenerative disease of the cervical spine.
Re: First time using a wheelchair!
kitkat203 #271025 04/15/15 06:12 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Good for you!!

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: First time using a wheelchair!
kitkat203 #271094 04/22/15 02:25 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
I agree, deciding using a wheelchair is a big psychological hurdle, and not something that I am ever happy doing, but always well worth it! Glad you got to join in your family outing.

Rach

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard