numbness
#271575 06/03/15 02:57 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
woke up in the middle of the night with my right pinky and ring finger completely numb. i was laying on my back, hands stretched out and not pinned in anyway that would cause a cut off of circulation.

i shook them, massaged them, trying to get them 'awake' and nothing worked. i was so sleepy i fell back asleep. but woke up a little later still with the numbness. tried the same stuff, nothing.

woke a third time, same again. but finally with some massaging, was able to get them to come to.

so weird. my inflammation in my elbow and wrist has been bad the last few days, maybe it crowded some of my nerves?

Rheumy appt next week. will be sure to bring it up. its not the only time something like this has happened.

thoughts?

Last edited by elenef; 06/03/15 02:58 PM.

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000
~ dx w/Cervical Myofascial Pain Syndrome in 2003
~ dx change to USpA/AS in Feb 2015 (HLA-B27 negative)
Currently taking Gabapentin 300mg/nightly, Meloxicam 15mg/daily, MTX 7.5mg/weekly, Folic Acid 3mg/daily, Biotin 5000mg/daily, and Flexiril & Norco only when absolutely needed.
tried Humira--no success, Enbrel & Cimzia--severe allergic reactions.
started Simponi infusions Jan 2016.

Re: numbness
elenef #271576 06/03/15 04:12 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Hate to say it, but it may be a side effect of the Humira.

elenef #271579 06/03/15 04:27 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Could be compression of the ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve runs all the way down your arm, around your elbow and controls feeling in your pinky and ring fingers. It's the "funny bone" nerve that tingles if you hit your elbow.

I have ulnar nerve problems. I sleep with a microbead pillow under my right elbow to prevent pressure. I don't usually get the finger numbness, I get pain in the elbow and wrist and sometimes my whole forearm will ache.

You can get compression at the elbow or at the wrist. I also have problems just leaning against a table, propping on my elbow, or leaning on a chair armrest. All of those things put pressure on the ulnar nerve where it travels from elbow to wrist.

Last edited by SouthernMoss; 06/03/15 04:48 PM.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
elenef #271581 06/03/15 11:52 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
When I get that buzzy numbness down my hands or arms, it is almost always from my neck. Adjust my pillows and stretch, and it goes away.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
elenef #271582 06/04/15 03:34 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
rheumy prescribed a Medrol pak. thinking its either ulnar nerve compression at my elbow (as Ginny suggested) or my wrist. he said if the prednisone doesn't help, he might do a shot in my elbow or wrist.

i had the same thing happen with my fingers and hand last night, just not as bad.

cemc, i am also wondering if it might be my neck. my traps are super inflamed lately, so it is very possible.

i really hate even taking prednisone. so far every time i have taken a Medrol pak, it has done nothing. i think i need higher doses to do anything, but so far my Rheumy hasn't been willing to prescribe anything higher. (not that i would love the possible side effects with a higher dose anyway, so i haven't pressed the issue.)

CTPE, i asked my Humira advocate about it too and she said she had only heard of that side effect from RA patients and whether i had been tested for RA. sigh, turns out, no, i haven't had my rheumatoid factor tested, so i will be adding that to the list to talk to my Rheumy about when i go to next weeks appt.

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000
Currently taking Gabapentin 300mg/nightly, Meloxicam 15mg/daily, MTX 7.5mg/weekly, Folic Acid 3mg/daily, Biotin 5000mg/daily, and Flexiril & Norco only when absolutely needed.

elenef #272446 10/06/15 09:22 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
How is it Now? Just had that happen to me two nights ago, I found on one of the forums that if you lean on the elbow it can be part of the problem. I remembered that that day I was leaning on that elbow while watching football on my phone, so it could be something to watch out for.

Ankylousing Spondilytis, Diagnosed in 1981, Locked spine and neck since 1996, dual hip replacement. Flaxseed oil.
elenef #272465 10/07/15 07:26 PM
E
elenef Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
i recently saw the Rheumy and my shoulder and traps were so bad, he did a steroid shot in my one shoulder--which has helped tremendously.

i also started wearing a wrist and elbow brace when i sleep to avoid bending those joints and causing compression in my sleep. that approach has been hit or miss though.

------
Female / 43 yrs old
~ Pain started in 2000

elenef #272471 10/08/15 08:23 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Google "arm dermatomes" - I think you will find that the pinky and ring finger relate to C8 (cervical nerve), so I'd say its highly likely its coming from your neck. I tend to get problems with the C7 nerve, and its very often at night, and always related to my neck not being in quite the right position. Solution is to adjust my pillows. If you are lying on your back, you really don't need much in the way of a pillow at all. I would just have one of those microbead squishy travel pillows under the curve of my neck and that is enough. Anything higher than that puts my neck into a position where it kinks a nerve and I get numb fingers.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
elenef #272483 10/12/15 09:38 PM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
I had a lot of numbness and first was told is nothing and a nerve study was normal a year ago. Now it was sever denervations in hands. I was told my ulnar nerve enpinched, carpal tunnel, and the de Quervain syndrome. I was told bc inflamatory tisshues choking nerves. Now same on my rigth hand

AS since 2000,diagnosed in 2008.low back ,both elbows surgeries. IBS,Eosinophilic esophagitis. I am on Remicade, Methotrexate. B 27 Positive

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard