Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Increased T2 Signal Meaning
#272700 11/25/15 02:26 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I've done considerable digging but have yet to get a clear understanding of a comment on a 2014 MRI. The need for information has come up again but not among the same doctors (so I can't ask the requesting doctor) and was wondering if anyone understand what the meaning is.

MRI says,

Quote:
"There is compression fractures of T5 and T6 previously treated with kyphoplasty. There is subtle increased T2 signal in T6 suggestive of a mild exacerbation."

I understand the T5 and T6 comment for the kyphoplasty as that was from my fall but, I'm trying to understand what the increased T2 signal could mean as it relates to a Thoracic MRI.

I went to a new Rheumy on Monday and naturally everything is overwhelming to him so I'm trying to pick information that may be helpful to him.

Re: Increased T2 Signal Meaning
CentralGaGal #272701 11/25/15 03:21 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I know nothing about MRI's, but I found the following on the Merck Manuals site that might be helpful:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional...sonance-imaging

Among other things, it explains T1 and T2 signals. And I noticed this sentence: "T2-weighted images optimally show fluid and abnormalities (eg, tumors, inflammation, trauma)."

To my uneducated mind, this is saying that if the MRI image is weighted for T2 signals, the image can show evidence of tumors, inflammation, or trauma.

So could the comment be saying that the increased T2 signal suggests mild inflammation in T6? Mild worsening of the original trauma? I'm just throwing out guesses here.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
SouthernMoss #272703 11/25/15 05:06 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I know there is a fairly substantial bulging disc at T7-8 that appears to be touching the cord but I'm at a loss. Unless the worse of the worse cases and the best of the best Radiologists, the wording often is vague and when you have doctors that don't read films and treat based on the reports, it can be a little concerning.

My new Rheumy apparently didn't see this report so I was trying to determine if it was of worth to bring it to his attention.

CentralGaGal #272704 11/25/15 06:10 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I think it would probably be worth pointing it out.

Sorry you are having to start again with a new rheumy. That's always frustrating.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
SouthernMoss #272705 11/25/15 08:02 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted By: SouthernMoss
Sorry you are having to start again with a new rheumy. That's always frustrating.

I never thought it would take 11 months to see one that is so booked, it will 3 months before I see him again (unless there is a cause). Although HLA-B27+, he wants the test run AGAIN....crazy since DNA doesn't change but he wouldn't accept me telling him I was positive. Oh Well!

CentralGaGal #272706 11/26/15 01:38 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
HLA B 27 is a peptide/antibody and has little to do with DNA. The "test" can and does change.What changes are the types of antibodies that are made and the amount of these antibodies in the bloodstream. The immune system is very good at changing the antibodies that are made, to make the immune response even better. HLA antibody levels can be high following a flare but significantly decrease in the months or years following. However, the cells that make antibodies can develop into memory cells and the antibody levels can go from undetectable to extremely high very quickly (within days) if a patient is exposed to a foreign HLA again.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard