Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pain while standing in place
#274591 05/18/16 04:44 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Hi gang, I've been off the board for quite some time and decided to hop (pun intended) back in tonight. I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my low back/hips and upper thighs for several months if I have to stand in place for more that a couple minutes or so.
I start shifting my weight from leg to leg to try getting some relief but it seldom works for more than a few seconds. I'm ok if I can lean or prop on something. I can walk short distances with no problem. I have an MRI scheduled for next week and hope to get some answers then. I also have an appointment with the Pain Management doctor soon for another round of Epidural Steroid Injections. The last round lasted for about 10 months before I decided I need to go back. Any thoughts about the pain while standing issue will be welcomed.

Poppa John:
Symptomatic since 1988, diagnosed with Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, probable IBD March 2013. HLA B27 neg. Sacroillitis, Osteitis, Fibromyalgia
Fused T 2-12, Fused C 5-7, HNP L4-5 with laminectomy/discectomy 2014.
Re: Pain while standing in place
Poppa_John #274600 05/18/16 03:15 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Welcome back, Poppa John! I used to get lower back/sacral area pain when I stood for very long, but it's gotten better. It takes probably 15-20 minutes of standing before my back starts hurting now, and my knees (mainly the one that hasn't had surgery yet) start hurting earlier than my back. The swaying/weight-shifting helps my knees, but like you, it doesn't really help my back.

Do you think some core-strengthening exercises might help? Strengthening your abdominal and back muscles would help give your spine some support when you stand. You might consider asking for a PT referral.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Pain while standing in place
Poppa_John #274611 05/18/16 10:04 PM
F
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
I deal with this too. I'm a nurse and am on my feet all day long. Propping amd leaning does help and sitting for short periods of time will help some too. Sitting for too long causes me pain as well so I'm still looking for the happy place in between:)

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard