Issues with Memory
#276377 10/17/16 02:37 PM
M
mutagen Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I noticed my memory has been getting significantly worse over the past 7 months. Has anyone experienced this problem and does it get better?

Re: Issues with Memory
mutagen #276378 10/17/16 03:25 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Medications can affect memory. I was on Lyrica for a while and had memory problems then. The problems went away when I stopped taking it. What are you taking?

mutagen #276382 10/17/16 04:35 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Fatigue can also affect memory and contribute to the dreaded "brain fog" effect.

Is your pain increasing in addition to the memory problems? Could be your inflammation is not being adequately controlled.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
mutagen #276397 10/18/16 03:36 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Yes to the above - and also factor in lack of sleep and stress in general. Most of you probably aren't as old as I am, but some of us blame a lot of memory issues on "senior moments," too. Finding tricks to cope with memory lapses will help you feel better about yourself - lists, notes, calendars (paper or electronic), routines. Just remember, too, that some things just aren't worth the hassle of remembering! Lol...!

Joani; 72-year-old with undifferentiated spondylitis and erosive inflammatory osteoarthritis in hands & wrists; taking low-dose prednisone, Vitamin D, use Voltaren gel for hands & wrists; other meds for heart, thyroid, allergies & sinusitis. Blessed with great husband, 5 kids & their spouses, 11 beautiful grandchildren.
mutagen #276398 10/18/16 04:06 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Yep, I have memory problems. Some days are good and others it feels like I have cobwebs in my head! When I am having a flare it is worse.

-******- Kelseria -******-
mutagen #276409 10/19/16 09:40 PM
M
mutagen Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
My medication list is growing and I'm taking

Cosentyx, sulfaSALAzine, predniSONE, LOTEMAX, traMADol, modafinil, restasis, ADDERALL XR

mutagen #276434 10/21/16 09:37 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Don't know how long you've been on Tramadol or what dose....but I just have to say watch it. I was only taking 50 mg at bedtime so I could get through the night with tolerable pain - but I was so groggy the next day (until midafternoon) that I actually caught myself with my eyes closed as I was driving....not once, but 4 times, twice crossing into the other lane. (Can't use caffeine due to AFib/SVT.) Finally got smart (and scared) and convinced my pain doc that my body obviously wasn't going to adapt to the Tramadol - weaned off it within a week and feel much more alert. Haven't found a good substitute for nighttime pain relief yet, but didn't want to kill myself or someone else. Hope you aren't having this kind of stuff, along with memory issues!

Joani; 72-year-old with undifferentiated spondylitis and erosive inflammatory osteoarthritis in hands & wrists; taking low-dose prednisone, Vitamin D, use Voltaren gel for hands & wrists; other meds for heart, thyroid, allergies & sinusitis. Blessed with great husband, 5 kids & their spouses, 11 beautiful grandchildren.
mutagen #276448 10/24/16 05:05 PM
M
mutagen Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I take the Tramadol sparingly. Usually every couple weeks or so. I thought it was the tramadol and haven't taken it for almost 3 weeks, but no change.

mutagen #276450 10/24/16 08:32 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Sorry that didn't help. There's so much "hit or miss" about this whole spondy thing - diagnosis, treatment, pain patterns, you name it. Hang in there!

mutagen #276478 10/28/16 08:49 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Most of my problems with memory are caused by a liver disease called autoimmune cholangiopathy. Since starting treatment with ursodiol, things have improved a great deal. It took many years to diagnose. My rheumatologist says that autoimmune cholangiopathy is associated with the spondyloarthropathies, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

This liver problem had a most profound effect on my memory, and was the number one reason I was unable to continue with my carrer in IT. The effect on my brain, yes from a problem with my liver!!, was very similar to what people with concussion report- more neurological than simple fatigue would be.
Thankfully the treatment is just a pill containing a liver salt, and it is very effective.

So many other factors can affect memory, as people have described above, it's a tough one to pin down. Also consider vitamin and mineral deficiencies. I have to inject vitamin B12 every two weeks, rather than taking tablets, because I don't absorb it very well.

Getting to the bottom of these problems can take a while, and involve several doctors. Keep being your own advocate, and be willing to try different things, and bear in mind that you might need a combination of treatments to help.

I haven't posted in a while. I miss all the support and helpful information we get here. Must join in more again......

Rach

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard