Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best Decision of My Life or a Tragic Mistake?
mdphdgrad #277281 02/11/17 01:19 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Hey thank you so much for everybody's opinions. You know, I've asked multiple rheumatologists about my situation and they all say go for surgery. I think they are very optimistic about treatments in the future, etc.

Call me crazy but I just stopped eating starches and I feel even better.

This is a sad thing to say but it is the reality: there is little interest in rheumatology in American medical students because rheumatology doesn't pay. Our society pays for procedures frown

I'm trying to decide and it's super difficult. Will I be disabled in the future? Will this matter at all? Nobody can tell smirk

mdphdgrad #277282 02/11/17 04:14 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Become a surgeon, when it no long works, go into teaching!

mdphdgrad #277498 03/10/17 12:40 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Go for it. Don't let this disease stop you. Use Provigil for the fatigue and to give you energy to study. Most medical students will tell you they have taken it to study and get through. What's the worst case if you get disabled from the disease? You teach other surgeons. There are a million career options for an experienced surgeon who can no longer do surgery. You can use Provigil for fatigue and you can always use medications to control pain. Personally, I would rather use medications to keep going to do what I love then sit back and have regrets - even if it shortens my life.

mpc2012 #277508 03/11/17 12:29 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Originally Posted By: mpc2012
Go for it. Don't let this disease stop you. Use Provigil for the fatigue and to give you energy to study. Most medical students will tell you they have taken it to study and get through. What's the worst case if you get disabled from the disease? You teach other surgeons. There are a million career options for an experienced surgeon who can no longer do surgery. You can use Provigil for fatigue and you can always use medications to control pain. Personally, I would rather use medications to keep going to do what I love then sit back and have regrets - even if it shortens my life.

Did you ever compare provigil to a long-acting amphetamine like vyvanse?

1 member likes this: TyroneJenkins
chemman #284825 07/17/21 02:50 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Originally Posted by chemman
Originally Posted by mpc2012

Did you ever compare provigil to a long-acting amphetamine like vyvanse?

Sheeeeeeeiiiit.

mdphdgrad #284843 08/13/21 12:24 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I would say go for it. There is a doctor I know who has AS and became a pain management/stem cell doctor and he told me he used modafinil to fight the fatigue in med school. I would have a conversation with your doctors and tell them your plans and see if you can find a doctor who will help you get through it. Although the AS is going to make things tough, there are ways to combat the fatigue and other issues. Even if you get through med school and find you can no longer perform surgery, you can always do other things.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard