#280919 08/03/18 03:19 PM
D
dgopal Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
Hello all
Enbrel has been my miracle drug since 10 years . Was completely symptom free during this period. .off late noticed pain coming back and suspected maybe enbrel is not working any more . So Rheumy switched me to cosentyx . 2 doses so far and can’t really tell any difference yet . Any one here for whom cosentyx is helping ? How long did it take to start working ?

Female, 35, Diagnosed with AS in April 2010
symptoms controlled with enbrel
Re: Cosentyx
dgopal #280936 08/05/18 04:11 AM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
You specifically mentioned those for whom Cosentyx was working. I'll answer anyway, even though I stopped taking it due to side-effects. I could tell it was working by around the 4th loading dose. At the same time, the side-effects hit 24 hours after the first dose, almost exactly (diarrhea). I ended up stopping the med after the 4th month due to, ironically, constipation. After beginning with diarrhea that lasted a couple of days, starting 24 hrs after my dose, it gradually changed from diarrhea to constipation as the weeks went by. When I mentioned it to the rheumy, he thought it was a little preposterous, but humored me and said I could stop it for 3 months and see what happened. I was convinced it was the med, but waited out the 3 months, hoping to be vindicated. All my PsA symptoms came roaring back, proving it had been working. And the constipation went away gradually, proving it was the med causing those symptoms. It really bothered my gut, but many people do well on it. Hope it starts feeling like it's working soon. Don't fret too quickly. Good luck!

Cimzia is my miracle drug. wink Took it for 2.5 yrs and had to stop due to a case of pneumonia that led me down a path of testing that dragged on way too long. Then I had a bad foot fracture that took a long time to heal. Now I'm back on Cimzia and it's beginning to kick in nicely.

Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis HLAB27+
MTX, gabapentin, strontium citrate
Cosentyx from Oct to Dec 2017. Then back to Cimzia in May 2018.
Already tried Remicade, Enbrel, Simponi, Humira, Cimzia, Cosentyx.
dgopal #280942 08/06/18 12:00 AM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Cosentyx worked very well for me - better than any of the anti-TNFs (I tried them all)! It took several doses to see an improvement and probably a couple months till I was feeling a LOT better. I had to increase the dose from 150 mg a month to 300 mg a month before I felt better.

dgopal #280949 08/06/18 07:44 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Yes I love Cosentyx, it has worked best for me. Going up in dose to 300 soon. It took a good month after starting it to feel noticeable improvements. Then I had a steady pattern of last week wear-off, first week reboot.. So the middle 2 weeks in the month were an absolute sweet spot. Let's hope to get that number up.

I have some of the GI side-effects, but worth it.

AS d/x 2016, partial fusion in SIJs on xray, bilateral hip deterioration

Current Meds: Cosentyx 300mg 1x/month
Celebrex 200mg 2x/day
Baclofen 10-20mg/day
Medical marijuana, as needed for pain
Previous Meds: Enbrel and Humira
dgopal #280950 08/07/18 01:26 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I tried several anti-TNFs before switching to Cosentyx this past spring (April 2018). The other anti-TNFs I tried either didn't make much noticeable difference in pain/fatigue levels for me (Enbrel, Cimzia) or I had to stop because of serious side effects or intolerance (Remicade). I have no psoriatic symptoms, but the Cosentyx dose at 150mg injections every two weeks (so the higher 300mg/month) has been helping me much more than any other biologic I've tried. I didn't notice an immediate difference, but I pretty suddenly felt great in comparison by week 4 or 5 of the initial loading doses -- pain levels were dampened a bit but the fatigue relief was the most noticeable for me. Once I went to the once a month 150mg dose, I started to slide back down into not feeling that great, which is why my rheumy bumped up my dose to the current 150mg injections every other week. It seems like most people have the best relief at the higher dose once the loading doses are complete, so if you feel better once you get through the loading doses, it might be worth asking to go up to the higher dose.

I have not had any of the GI side effects so far on Cosentyx. I have a sensitive stomach (and I tend to get easily nauseated, especially if my pain is not managed well), but I've never had issues with IBS/IBD. My rheumy let me know before I switched to the Cosentyx that it does seem to aggravate GI symptoms in those who have had IBS/IBD issues, so it's something to keep an eye on if that's been a concern for anyone.

Fingers crossed the Cosentyx helps you, dgopal!

Female, early 30s. Dx AS July 2016, symptomatic 13 years.
Current meds: Cosentyx (150mg injections every 2 weeks) since April 2018. Tramadol (100mg every 6 hours) since January 2017. Celebrex (200 mg every 12 hours) since July 2017. Medical cannabis tincture/oil/vape/topicals.
Ineffective meds/ intolerance: Remicade (3 months). Cimzia (6 months). Enbrel (6 months). MTX w/ folic acid (2 months). Plaquenil (3 months). Prednisone (1 month).

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard