CPAP and Back Pain #282367 01/11/19 02:52 PM
W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
Howdy,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I started using a CPAP (APAP) about a month ago. Most nights I wake up around 4 AM with severe midback pain, seems to be radiating from T8 ish. This outside the normal AS pain, but similar (maybe a little higher up the spine) than a flare up before I started Humira. Unlike the "traditional" flare-ups, my days get better and more functional with heat, stretching - and being out of bed. Kind of a pick your poison issue. The threat of apnea related issues along with sleep deprivation versus nasty pain and ... sleep deprivation.

Anyone?

DX AS 2016. DX DISH Syndrome 2000. Humira, SOMA as needed, oils (black spruce, wintergreen, cypress, peppermint, lavender). Severely intolerant to NSAIDs.
Re: CPAP and Back Pain [Re: Windguy] #282368 01/11/19 03:36 PM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Before the APAP, were you a restless sleeper, moving around a lot in bed during the night? And is the APAP helping you sleep more soundly (up until the pain wakes you up)?

As you know, AS pain typically gets worse when you are still. So I'm thinking that if you are sleeping better now, you are probably not moving as much as you used to while sleeping. And if you are more still while you are sleeping, that may be what's causing the 4am pain.

I usually have to make one bathroom trip during the night, sometimes two. These trips actually help me sleep better because I get up and move during the night.

You need to discuss your issue with your rheumatologist and your sleep doctor. Maybe a muscle relaxer would help. Or a different sleeping position. Or a hot bath/shower right before bed.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: CPAP and Back Pain [Re: Windguy] #282370 01/11/19 04:08 PM
W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
Ginny,

Good questions. I had been and am still a very motionless sleeper. Rolling around in bed would often trigger some horrific spasms, causing full chest contractions and some shortness of breath. So, my body learned to stay-put, usually in a fetal position.

One thought postulated from my son was that I'm breathing more deeply and the flexure of rib cage might be aggravating nerve and tissue around forming/bridging osteophytes. I'm leaning this direction. Muscle relaxants not helping much, other than helping me nod off in a chair after I have to bail out of bed.

Oddly, my 0300 trip to the loo (frequent, but not always) hasn't happened since I began using the APAP.

DX AS 2016. DX DISH Syndrome 2000. Humira, SOMA as needed, oils (black spruce, wintergreen, cypress, peppermint, lavender). Severely intolerant to NSAIDs.
Re: CPAP and Back Pain [Re: Windguy] #282371 01/11/19 08:15 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Agree that this is important to talk with docs.

If I was waking up with spine pain, then I would increase chest expansion/flexibility activity during the day or at least before going to bed.

Hope this resolves quickly.

kind regards, Rich

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: CPAP and Back Pain [Re: Windguy] #282373 01/11/19 10:16 PM
W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
Thanks Rich. Access to VA rheumy has to wait - that's the way it is. Did some searches on a CPAP site and found other similar complaints. Have been working on more chest stretching. Signed up for Qi Gong - should start this month, and Tai Chi in March. Gonna fly without CPAP tonight. See if I get through the night.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto