Desk work with AS- Helpful products?
#283416 07/25/19 11:07 PM
K
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
Hi all,

My lower back pain has gotten significantly worse lately and it is making my desk job tough, even with frequent stretch breaks and walking around throughout the day. Does anyone have recommendations for products like braces, chair cushions, etc that could help out? I see a lot of people swear by braces like this, for example: https://amzn.to/32OTnGq. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Diagnosed AS. HLAB27+. Naproxen, indomethacin, meloxicam, and ibuprofen failed. On Humira (first anti-TNF) since July 2019 with no result so far.
Re: Desk work with AS- Helpful products?
KatherineL16 #283428 07/29/19 04:19 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Hello Katherine,

I didn't know about these braces, but it might be interesting to correct your posture?
I have a desk job and I spend my entire days in front of my computer. About one year ago, I've traded my desk chair for a ball commonly used for yoga, pilates, gym... It has really decreased my lower back pain. And it's also a relief for my entire spine since I don't lean back on any backrest (which is something that causes me pain on my spine). I also think that it makes me sit more straight that on a desk chair.
It might be worth trying, those balls are usually not very expensive and you can find them in most sports shops.
I also use a very low stool (about 13 cm-high, 5 in) to put my feet, I feel better than when I put my feet directly on the floor.

Cheers,

Alice

This is the link to the balls I'm taking about:
https://www.amazon.com/RitFit-Exercise-Stability-Included-Phthalate/dp/B01HHSNHUW/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=2RLQJH3HAPPJN&keywords=pilates+ball&qid=1564416295&s=gateway&sprefix=pilate+ball%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1

KatherineL16 #283447 08/09/19 02:07 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Chairs are evil😈
Balance ball chair?

Last edited by Braxon; 08/09/19 02:18 PM.

Braxon B Shenn
KatherineL16 #283452 08/09/19 05:14 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Back braces are normally not a good thing for folks with AS. Movement is essential to maintain our range of motion. Also, if you are showing any signs of fusing, keeping your spine immobile for long periods of time could assist the fusing process.

The most important thing for me is a good chair. Make sure the chair fits you well and has good lumbar support. If you are short like me, make sure you can sit all the way back in the chair without the front edge of the seat pressing against the back of your knees.Make sure the armrests are low enough that you can rest your arms on them without causing your shoulders to lift. Adjust the chair height so that when you use your keyboard your wrists are straight. Use a footrest if necessary to keep your knees level with your hips.

The basic ideas also apply for a tall person. Make sure the chair fits and supports your back, the seat is deep enough to support your thighs, the armrests are at the right height to keep your shoulders in a neutral, relaxed position, straight wrists on the keyboard, knees level with hips, etc.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
KatherineL16 #283461 08/12/19 02:45 AM
K
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
Hi all,

Thanks for the great ideas. I got a medicine ball and will be trying it out. If that doesn't help, I'll probably need to invest in a good-quality chair.

Diagnosed AS. HLAB27+. Naproxen, indomethacin, meloxicam, and ibuprofen failed. On Humira (first anti-TNF) since July 2019 with no result so far.
KatherineL16 #283467 08/13/19 09:11 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Hello Katherine,

Great! Let us know if the medicine ball works for you.

Cheers,

Alice

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard